Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
compubimbo

Poorly Performing Crocuses

compubimbo
19 years ago

Hi,

I'm new to this site and forums in general, but I can not find information on the web to help me, so I thought I would give this a try!

I am new to gardening, and I am new to this climate! I'm originally from the south, but now I am in Quebec on Lake Champlain. This has been a somewhat mild winter this year and only reached around -30F.

I moved into my house last summer and did not have a chance to do anything with the yard. However, the old owners told us that they planted some bulbs that never showed up. (I did not ask when.) My yard is mainly grass with an L-shaped bed near the deck that grows mainly Tigerlilies-- they were there last year. But there is also a really big bed that is maybe 16' x 8'. This bed was my goal for this spring. I had planned to till it out and plant the plants and flowers I wanted. When we moved in, this bed was overgrown with many weeds, lots of grass, and numerous other ugly features (including a number of maple seedlings!)

Much to my chagrin, first thing this April, I see little sprouts all over!!! The bulbs were coming out. So, now, I can not till the bed out. I had to pull all the weeds by hand-- running grass... not fun.

So, you know the background, now for the problem. The first ones up were or course my crocuses. Thery were so pert and pretty and vibrant and appeared to be extremely healthy! they started blooming April 10. Now, little over a week later, all the flowers are wilting. The foilage seems to still be very strong and healthy though. A few of the plants never bloomed at all, but I thought that might be bad bulbs.

Anyway, I wanted to know the average bloom time of crocuses and if anyone might know why mine are going away so quickly when nothing else has started blooming yet.

Any comments or help will be greatly appreciated so I can do better for next year!

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• janetr
    19 years ago

Well, if you're getting the unusually warm weather that we've been getting, it's speeding up their metabolism so the blooms don't last as long. Not that they last for a very long time anyway. Crocuses are more to cheer you up when you desperately need to see some colour. Then you move on to daffodils, then to tulips...

South? From a Quebec perspective, you are south now.

• compubimbo
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Oh, yeah! South for Quebec, hee! I'm from the southern states originally, so the seasons here are much different for me.

As for the warm weather, it has been very sunny and warm here for the last week or so. I've been loving it!!! I am not sure what is normal here for this time of the year, but I did have a neighbor ask if the blooms were out a bit too early...

Thanks very much for the info. And do I need to worry about my other flowers suffering the same fate once they start blooming if it stays rather warmer than usual?

• janetr
    19 years ago

Well, it's not staying warmer than usual. The ones that are affected like that are the early spring flowers that normally bloom at a cool time of year, so a lot of the spring bulbs will react like that to prolonged warmth. It's worth it though, just to see colour that early (!) in the year. Snowdrops, hyacinths, daffodils, etc. will all accelerate their blooming time in unusually warm weather and prolong it if it stays cooler. So I guess I should say welcome to Canada!

• sheryl_ontario
    18 years ago

Hey Compubimbo, I'm from the southern US too, but many, many (30)years ago. The climate sure is different!

• loloo
    18 years ago

Not your pre owners garden anymore. Dig up what`s there, set aside any bulbs you find, plant what you want then replant the bulbs wherever you choose. They will come up next year

• compubimbo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

JanetR:

Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for givng me hope for greater color to come!

Sheryl_O:

Wow! I thought I was the only one--everyone laughs when I talk. hee! So did you do any gardening in the south before you came to Canada? And if so, do you have any words of wisdom that may help me keep a healthy and productive northern garden?? Things that a southerner might not know?

Loloo:

You are soooo right! I should pluck it all up and do it my way! But I am so intimidated by the size! I want to see what else comes up and figure out what all is planted so that I can plan what to do with the different types of bulbs. Plus, I think this first full year is a good observational time as well-- for shade and timing and such. But I have already set out marking tulips, crocuses, and hyacinths that are in bad places. Somehow, I think some tulip bulbs shifted after they were planted, because I have a ton coming up in the middle of a very thick tigerlily bed! And I ain't gettin rid of my tigerlilies! They have always been my favorites!

So, as a newbie who is totally intimidaated by the size of her flower bed, and who has NEVER dealt with bulbs before, do you have any advice on how to safely move them around?

Thanks again for all advice and comments!

• sheryl_ontario
    18 years ago

Squirrels will move your tulip bulbs around for you! LOL! All I can tell you is to watch the zone on the plant labels carefully. You can push it a little, if you put a tender plant in a sheltered southern exposure, but usually the zone on the label is correct. Don't try to grow all those things you saw further south, even if you can get them there, you'll just be dissappointed. Stick with what does very well in your zone 3 area. There are lots of beautiful choices!

Also, because of the short growing season where you are, start all your seeds early indoors under artificial lights.

• bonsai_audge
    18 years ago

I have to say that crocuses don't stay around very long. Mine, I believe, bloomed for about a week or so and then the flowers were gone. I believe that is normal. Favourite things after the crocuses are the daffodils, then the tulips.

-Audric