Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green rhubarb

Posted by Cowan 8 (My Page) on
Sat, May 7, 05 at 0:34

Does anyone know why my rhubarb would be green - no red stalks at all. It was this way last year too. It gets lots of sun and I planted it in soil with lots of aged manure and compost. I have never seen this before.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green rhubarb

I've seen it - a single plant may have both red and green stems; sometimes younger stems are one color or the other (can't remember which); also, a particular cultivar of rhubarb may have green stems rather than red stems.
Take a look at the following attachment...

Here is a link that might be useful: rhubarb petiole (stalk) color

o

Thanks AB - never heard of green only rhubarb - that must be what I have. The link gave good info and when it mentioned heavy seed head production that described my rhubarb all right. I thought it would be too tart and acidic to use but will cook up a batch and see what it tastes like.

o

We have a green cultivar. Made a pie last week and it was great. Rumor from the local Amish is that green rhubarb is tarter, so I added plenty of sugar. Used the recipe on the back of the tapioca box and added a tiny bit of cinnamon and orange peel.

o

I have purchased green rhubarb,and it tastes just fine cooked. I believe I added red food coloring to make it look pretty.

o

I have just returned from Rhubarbinfo.com its a site with all of your rhubarb varieties and questions, my understanding is that green rhubarb pending on what species can be sweet, check out the site rhubarbinfo.com

o

I love rhubarb, and when we first got our house I found a local farmer who was growing three different varieties, none of whose names he knew, two red and one green. DH and I tasted all three, and we both liked the green variety best. I wouldn't know how to rate it in terms of sweetness, but what I would say is that it had more of that characteristic rhubarby flavor, tangy and acidic. Well, now we have our own plants, they're huge and thriving, the stalks are giant, and I couldn't be happier! (I made three pies this week...) The red might look prettier, but I don't care.

o

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Sun, May 21, 06 at 18:17

That reminds me, I have to go and cut mine before it goes to head. Comopany coming, maybe rhubarb pie for dessert.

Some of mine are green, but most are red.

o

You could add some strawberries in to pink up your pies!!

o

I have red and green varieties, do not notice much difference in taste. I sometimes mix them in a pie. We have found the green variety much hardier and larger here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here