Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crazy Calgary climate

Posted by nadia_ Canada (My Page) on
Thu, May 24, 07 at 1:27

So of course two weeks ago I planted a begonia, a geranium, mint, 3 bleeding hearts and ten other flowering plants during the most recent "hot" spell in Calgary when the temps were around the early 20s mark.

Naturally, tonight, the forecast calls for upto 4 cm of snow. Much to the amusement (I am sure) of my neighbours, I ran out in my pjs and slippers to cover up the poor plants. After having run out of burlap and tarp, I had to resort to inverted Turkish coffee cups (they're just the right size for the small seedlings that were just beginning to sprout), and three large, plastic, transparent containers.

I was warned by a friend NOT to plant anything outside until after the last long weekend of May. Alas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crazy Calgary climate

Hopefully any damage to plants will be minimal. I read that most trees, shrubs and perennials tolerate those wet snowfalls but not sure about annuals.

As for planting things out on the Victoria day long weekend (last weekend), I guess it's a general guideline. Some years you may be okay planting sooner, other years in early June you can get a frost. I took holidays this week to plant things in the yard but haven't got many things planting due to the rain and cool temps. Theres a risk of frost tonight, but I'll just gather my planted pots together and cover them.

glen

o
RE: Crazy Calgary climate

Nadia, you may want to stock up on covering material for your plants which is not plastic. Plastic does not have much insulating value, although it does keep the weight of the wet snow off the plants. Fortunately this recent dump of wet snow did not include freezing temperatures.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here