Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cape_bretoner

Lapins Cherry Tree (Zone)

cape_bretoner
18 years ago

I am interested in planting a Lapins Cherry Tree and getting conflicting reports on the proper zone. Any info would be appreciated thanks.

Comments (6)

• Konrad___far_north
    18 years ago

I would definitely try one!
    I know someone in Edmonton, [colder, zone 3 to 4] who is growing it for some Years now and seems doing fine.
    Konrad

• robtos
    17 years ago

I planted a Lapins in Edmonton last year, and this year it is producing fruit, not a lot of fruit, but fruit nonetheless.

I have heard of others growing Lapins successfully in Edmonton, and would like to hear and share ideas on tree protection in the winter.

I have heard of some people mounding the base with peat in late fall...buying and custom cutting block insulation then gently wrapping and taping it around the tree...would love to hear what others have to write!

The trees can be bought at Kuhlmanns gardens.

• alcan_nw
    17 years ago

Robtos,
    I am sure Lapins won't make it in Fairbanks AK unless protected some how. It might be of interest to you that we had broken records of low temperatures around my 'Evans' pie cherry last winter and that the tree is looking as good this year as any year of the last 4. Lynn Long of OSU in 'The Dalles' Oregon has a web document and claims the sweet cherries like your 'Lapins' can vary around -30F hardiness under certain conditions;
    -Pasted from web-----------------------------------
    Highlights
     Base line hardiness of cherry buds is about -6°F.
     Cherry buds have the ability to gain about 4° of hardiness per day.
     Once temperatures rise about freezing, the added hardiness below -6°F can be lost in a few hours.
    Â As spring approaches, buds lose their ability to gain hardiness.
    Â Tree health is important in imparting cold tolerance to buds.
    -End of Paste-------------------------------------
    For me under almost -50F conditions for as long as we had I am sure everything (especially tree health) were important factors in tree survival. Mine had plenty of sun, good silt soil, plenty of added micronutrients from seaweed extract applied to leaves, and I followed Lynn Longs' advise of carefully watering the tree to the tee so that the tree can slow down and push the previous buds into maturity faster.

• xcaret
    17 years ago

I planted my lapins cherry tree in my Calgary house by cutting a hole in the porch floor and lowering the tree down into a barrel of loam ( the bottom was cut out for root depth).It grew great but try as I would I couldnt get cherries to grow .I pollinated by q-tip and no luck ..several years I had no blossoms .After about 6 years the tree was so spread out I had to fight my way up the stairs to my main floor..I couldnt take the tree with me when the city bulldozed the house down ,but am happy to hear they grow in Edmonton outside. I just talked to Bylands about an apricot tree and they say they dont sell em to Albertans cause they had to many die ( the trees not the Albertans).I was not aware cherries could grow outside .. I moved to Shepard on the city limits and have a half acre to plant fruit trees ,and so on .I'm going to start a thread asking what fruit trees grow here.

• rlt1925_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

let me know if it will grow in zone 9

Sponsored