Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beautiful, but what is it?

Posted by rubydue 5a N.S. Can. (My Page) on
Fri, May 21, 04 at 6:57

Last summer I saw this lovely flower growing wild. It has a root that is similar to a Parsnip but much bigger. The flower petal is somewhat fringed and it sits atop a very long stem. I have the pictures from last year. I dug them up and planted them in my yard. I am hoping they do well.

http://groups.msn.com/ASquareFootGardening/rubyduesgarden2004.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=897

http://groups.msn.com/ASquareFootGardening/rubyduesgarden2004.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=898

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beautiful, but what is it?

It's a malva of some kind.

o

I agree that it looks like a malva. I had a plant that looks very similar (malva moschata aka musk mallow). Actually, I still have it, since I've tried but I can't get rid of it. The flowers are lovely, but it self-seeds all over the garden. So, beware!

o

Thank you very much. ":-)

o

• Posted by Treaty z5 Niagara Fall (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 7, 04 at 19:50

I did the same thing you did when I lived in Nova Scotia. I went into the wild and dug one up and transplanted it to my garden. I used to know the name but I blieve it is commonly refered to a pink mallow.

o

Hello Treaty ":-)

It is still hard to believe it is a wild flower. Since I transplanted it a couple of weeks ago it finally appears to be taking off.

o

It is malva moschata. You can buy it here at most garden centers. Its a perennial but reseeds prolifically and so often grows in the wild as well. It comes in white, too. I have a book that says its edible and great in salad with more vit A than spinach. I've grown it for years and I love it. If its not in full sun, it falls over, though, and needs a peony ring.

o

We have Malva moschata "Mauritania" which is deep purple-pink, and Malva Moschata "Zebrina" pale pink with thin purple stripes. We also have the regular pink and the regular white. The first two are annuals, but you would never know it since they reseed and are always in the garden. In fact, it is good in the spring to thin them so they do better.

o

Thank you sherry and Shapiro ":-)

I found a whole website on the species would you like to see it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Malvaceae Information and pics

o

I found this thread while checking my web access logs. Apart from the gallery to which rubydue posted a link, I have a detailed description of Malva moschata alba. (Material on the wild type in prep.)

'Zebrina' is a cultivar of Malva sylvestris. The botanists don't (usually) recognise mauritiana as a variety or subspecies of Malva sylvestris any more, but seed of that type is still sold in horticulture; I refer to it as Malva sylvestris Mauritiana group.

The species is supposed to be a biennial or perennial, but I found cultivar 'Braveheart' to behave like an annual. I'm growing 'Zebrina' this year so I'll find out whether this perennates.

o

You have an awesome website Mr.Hinsley ":-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here