Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubydue

Beautiful, but what is it?

rubydue
19 years ago

Last summer I saw this lovely flower growing wild. It has a root that is similar to a Parsnip but much bigger. The flower petal is somewhat fringed and it sits atop a very long stem. I have the pictures from last year. I dug them up and planted them in my yard. I am hoping they do well.

http://groups.msn.com/ASquareFootGardening/rubyduesgarden2004.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=897

http://groups.msn.com/ASquareFootGardening/rubyduesgarden2004.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=898

Comments (10)

• abgardeneer
    19 years ago

It's a malva of some kind.

• cailinriley
    19 years ago

I agree that it looks like a malva. I had a plant that looks very similar (malva moschata aka musk mallow). Actually, I still have it, since I've tried but I can't get rid of it. The flowers are lovely, but it self-seeds all over the garden. So, beware!

• rubydue
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you very much. ":-)

• Treaty
    19 years ago

I did the same thing you did when I lived in Nova Scotia. I went into the wild and dug one up and transplanted it to my garden. I used to know the name but I blieve it is commonly refered to a pink mallow.

• rubydue
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hello Treaty ":-)

It is still hard to believe it is a wild flower. Since I transplanted it a couple of weeks ago it finally appears to be taking off.

• sheryl_ontario
    19 years ago

It is malva moschata. You can buy it here at most garden centers. Its a perennial but reseeds prolifically and so often grows in the wild as well. It comes in white, too. I have a book that says its edible and great in salad with more vit A than spinach. I've grown it for years and I love it. If its not in full sun, it falls over, though, and needs a peony ring.

• shapiro
    19 years ago

We have Malva moschata "Mauritania" which is deep purple-pink, and Malva Moschata "Zebrina" pale pink with thin purple stripes. We also have the regular pink and the regular white. The first two are annuals, but you would never know it since they reseed and are always in the garden. In fact, it is good in the spring to thin them so they do better.

• rubydue
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you sherry and Shapiro ":-)

I found a whole website on the species would you like to see it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Malvaceae Information and pics

• lavateraguy
    19 years ago

I found this thread while checking my web access logs. Apart from the gallery to which rubydue posted a link, I have a detailed description of Malva moschata alba. (Material on the wild type in prep.)

'Zebrina' is a cultivar of Malva sylvestris. The botanists don't (usually) recognise mauritiana as a variety or subspecies of Malva sylvestris any more, but seed of that type is still sold in horticulture; I refer to it as Malva sylvestris Mauritiana group.

The species is supposed to be a biennial or perennial, but I found cultivar 'Braveheart' to behave like an annual. I'm growing 'Zebrina' this year so I'll find out whether this perennates.

• rubydue
    Original Author
    19 years ago

You have an awesome website Mr.Hinsley ":-)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting