Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new garden - tree/shrub suggestions?

Posted by littlegardenbug z3 Alberta (My Page) on
Tue, May 17, 05 at 10:35

Hi All,

I'm new - just joined!

I'm renting a house in Edmonton, AB, and the landlady just decided to convert the gravel parking spot in the alley to a full garden. I'm thrilled - the back yard will triple in size to be about 10m(33')x20m(66').

My question is... what are some good shrubs to plant?

The garden is south facing, and will have a 6' fence around it (landlady's decision). The gravel parking spot is being converted by a truckload of topsoil being spread on top (already delivered). Not the best way, but currently the only way! Digging through the gravel is really tough (I've tried), but the guy is coming with a post hole digger tomorrow so if I know where I want to put shrubs I can get the holes dug through to soil underneath (I know it's there, it's just hard to get to!). The landlady wants to put in an apple tree. Any ideas of what kinds grow best here, that are tasty, and cooking/eating variety?

Also, I'm mostly into having native plants if possible. I was thinking of putting a chokecherry (there's one out front that's beautiful) and a serviceberry. Oh, and I have a bunch of raspberries that I was going to put along the back fence.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new garden - tree/shrub suggestions?

Have you considered growing an Evans Cherry? It was developed in Edmonton. It is a tart edible cherry. It can be grow as a bush or a tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Exploring Not Quite Cherries

o

Oooh that sounds good! Maybe I'll try that! How fast do they grow?

-penny

o

They grow very fast, and form a low-headed, ~8', single-trunked tree. Ours is blooming as we speak. Like most prunus, they do sucker.

o

You need a lilac. The whole town is scented with them this week.

:)

o

I agree about the Evans Cherry and spireas are nice to have for a compact shrub, can't remember the name...I've had mine for well over 7 yrs and it's never grown past 2 1/2 ft x 2 ft....produced beautiful rose colored flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here