Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tomatoes ready to move

Posted by poppy88 z5b (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 07 at 10:44

Hello,

I've post this message in the tomatoes forum.. just in case I decided to post the same from the northern gardener.

Did anyone move their tomatoes plants into ground yet? In the past couple of year I moved mine after the victoria long weekend and they usually die right away. This year feel warmer than other, so I was wondering if anyone is brave and had success this year.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tomatoes ready to move

• Posted by tink2 4/5 N. Illinois (My Page) on
    Wed, May 23, 07 at 0:45

Well, I an in Northern Illinois, almost the Wisconsin border. We almost always have a frost or two after Mother's Day, so even though they say May 15, I go by the old June 1 for putting in my tomatoes.
However, this year we have set some heat records, so I tempted fate by putting some things in early, and sure enough we got 2 frosts within 9 days of each other. My tomatoes were okay, because I had only put in the ones I had wall-o-waters enough to cover. Took them off today and my cherry tomatoes have tiny tomatoes, the others have some blooms, and I am planting direct to the garden the rest of them, mostly the beefsteak and plum kinds, along with a couple of heirlooms. So I would say now is them time, since we are in the same zone.

o

Just what i was going to ask. Yep guess it's time for the tomatoes to go out !

o

Moved them last night and it's raining now so they look pretty happy. If it gets cold I'll just cover them.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

thank you all those reply. Moved them and they are doing well.

o

OOPS 1 had to cover them last night. there was a frost warning but looks like everything's ok

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here