Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frosty Pansies?

Posted by HENRYSLAWEK Z5A5B (My Page) on
Wed, May 5, 04 at 11:49

I bought some yesterday and it says..."Favourite cool season plants add colour to the garden in early spring and late fall. Plant in full sun or partial shade....Fall planting is ideal for spring blooms."
OK, what do I do with them in the mid-summer? Do I store them somehow for the fall planting? It sounds like they are perennials if you plant them in fall for spring blooms, is that so?
Thanks for any info.
Henry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frosty Pansies?

Hi! I plant these in the fall and they do rev up right after the snow melts in spring. Right now, they're REALLY blooming.
If you just bought them, plant them now (naturally). They'll bloom happily until hot weather comes. They're happiest when it's about 50 degrees. At this point, I usually rip them out and put in something else. Probably you could cut them back and wait till it turns cool in the fall, fertilize them up and step back!!!

o

Mine were a waste of time and space. Half froze out over the winter and the remainder have puny blooms. Too much hype, I'd say. they seem no better than regular pansies.

o

I've grown these as annuals for 3 years now...beautiful if in the right location. Best to plant this variety of pansies in late summer/fall in a protected location with some summer shade. You get blossoms in the fall and early winter months then they go somewhat dormant under the snow, but they put on their best show in the very early spring,before the daffodils are out. Mine look like small pansy-bushes right now!!! Water if they are looking dry in late winter/early spring and if they are in light shade they will survive the summer heat, but start looking a little bedraggled by mid-late summer. That's when I pull them out and discard...wait a month or so and plant fresh ones for the fall (I found they didn't survive another year). I get many compliments on the clumps of colour in early spring...but they must be placed in a favourable location, one of my favourites.

o

I thought they were a waste of money, they did not do much in my garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here