Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laheen

Pruning Miss Kim Lilac?

laheen
10 years ago

I have two Miss Kims that I planted about 6 years ago. In my impatience for mature plantings, I put them too close together and now (predictably) they've outgrown their allotted space.

It seems I have two options here, and I'm hoping you guys can advise me... I could move one of them, but I'm afraid they're both too big for me to move by myself. Also, they are presently in the only part of the garden with good sun (and even so, they're getting about 75% sun). So I hesitate to move them to a shadier spot.

The other alternative would be pruning them back for size. That would be my preference, but I'm not sure how they'd weather the pruning. If I were to prune, I know I should do it right after the bloom, so that would be in about a month here. (They are covered in buds right now, but no open flowers yet.) How hard could I prune them without harming the plants? And will that affect the bloom potential for next year?

Or would it be better to move one of them to another part of the garden and let them both grow out to their full potential size? Thanks.

This post was edited by laheen on Sun, May 5, 13 at 13:45

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz