Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning Miss Kim Lilac?

Posted by laheen Hudson Vall., NY. 6b (My Page) on
Sun, May 5, 13 at 11:54

I have two Miss Kims that I planted about 6 years ago. In my impatience for mature plantings, I put them too close together and now (predictably) they've outgrown their allotted space.

It seems I have two options here, and I'm hoping you guys can advise me... I could move one of them, but I'm afraid they're both too big for me to move by myself. Also, they are presently in the only part of the garden with good sun (and even so, they're getting about 75% sun). So I hesitate to move them to a shadier spot.

The other alternative would be pruning them back for size. That would be my preference, but I'm not sure how they'd weather the pruning. If I were to prune, I know I should do it right after the bloom, so that would be in about a month here. (They are covered in buds right now, but no open flowers yet.) How hard could I prune them without harming the plants? And will that affect the bloom potential for next year?

Or would it be better to move one of them to another part of the garden and let them both grow out to their full potential size? Thanks.

This post was edited by laheen on Sun, May 5, 13 at 13:45

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Miss Kim Lilac?

I wouldn't move them especially if you don't have a place to put 1 if you do.

Lilacs are pretty tough. My neighbor has a hedge of them and they are planted close together. I'd let them grow together like 1 big bush.

To prune start by removing any dead branches in the center. You could do that now if you want. Then you could remove as much as 1/3 of the growing branches after they flower. Understand that any pruning will have the branches growing back with double the new growth

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here