Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
szychowski

What's better a Rose, Climbing Blue Moon OR Vine, Yellow Trumpet

szychowski
16 years ago

I have a patio with a lattus for privacy on one side. I'd like to get a perennial that grows fast. The patio is under 4 HUGE maple trees. Sun squeaks through but not a lot. I am a total newbie and have no clue what I am doing.

Comments (8)

• glen3a
    16 years ago

Hi there,

I am not sure what you mean by 'blue moon', do you mean the annual blue morning glory vine that you seed each year?

As for yellow trumpet, campsis radicans, they really aren't hardy in your zone (at least in my experience).

A climbing rose is a nice idea, but probably wouldn't get tall enough plus they love full sun, which you don't have.

Maybe research/check into these vines...

dropmore honeysuckle: This one might do okay in shady conditions, mine at the side of the house gets 2 hours of sun and still blooms.

virginia creeper: doesn't really bloom (not showy blooms) but dependable and can fill up a lattice.

Also maybe check out hops vines and clematis such as jackmanii. usually they like sun but my clematis does okay in a part shade.

Glen

• thorngrower sw. ont. z5
    16 years ago

Forget the rose idea not enough sun.Even if there was enough, its hard to find one that would survive winter in your zone.Go for a vine of some kind...Good luck :-)

• garnet69
    16 years ago

Not enough sun for the rose and being near a patio, beware the thorns; yellow trumpet creeper would take years to bloom; now I have a Clematis 'Claire de Lune' which was called 'Blue Moon' and its absolutely gorgeous, blooming right now. That'd be my choice. If I have a pic I'll post it.

• bemidjigreen
    16 years ago

Thorn_grower--although its not a solution for szychowski due to the poor sunlight, I just wanted to interject that there are a few climbing roses that would do just fine in zone 3-4. William baffin is climbing rose that does just fine in in my zone 2b garden. Its over 6 feet tall with no winter damage to any of the tall canes without any protection. Another climbing rose hardy to zone 2 is John Davis and John Cabot is hardy to zone 3-4.

• garnet69
    16 years ago

Szychowski, here's a pic of my Blue Moon Clematis. Mine is in afternoon sun so the flowers fade a bit but still beautiful. This pic was taken 1 year after planting.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Yellow trumpet..is that the same as hummingbird vine? With orange flowers?
    I've got 2 growing and neither receiving much sun..say, medium light, and like you, one is blocked by a darn maple. Yet, the hummingbird vine grows each spring, and sends out big orange flowers during summer.
    I'm not sure which zone this plant grows in, but do know it will live even if conditions are below 0. Plus, mulching in autumn helps a lot..Toni

• thorngrower sw. ont. z5
    16 years ago

Well thanks for pointing that out to me bemidjigreen, i grow quite a few explorers myself, and they all come thru the winter wonderfully, always something new to learn.. have a nice day..:-)
    John Cabot hogging the back fence

{{gwi:216661}}

• birdofprey
    14 years ago

OK......I know this post is old but thats kind of what I'm hoping for. I got the blue moon climbing rose and was wondering if you planted them and how they turned out?

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets