Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trumpet Vine - Invasive even in the north?

Posted by jel48 Z4 Michigan (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 12 at 12:53

I've always known Trumpet Vine to be a great hummingbird attraction but terribly invasive, at least in more southerly areas. What about further north? I'm in northern Michigan, but I'd be interested in hearing from anyone with a similar climate. We are zone 5 (because I'm right on Lake Superior) but summers are short and cool. Last frost date is May 30 and it usually frosts in the fall in early October. Summer highs are normally in the high 70's though it does get much hotter on a few days. For those of you who live in the north and have Trumpet Vine, has it been invasive? Or is it not so bad with the shorter, cooler growing season?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trumpet Vine - Invasive even in the north?

i live in ne-sd (zone4). loved the vine, but, had to dig it up. would cling to the siding of the house, and, had shoots coming up all over the place.

if i had a spot where i could plant it and let it "do its thing", i would plant it in a heartbeat.

but, yes, very invasive (at least in my soil).

o
RE: Trumpet Vine - Invasive even in the north?

Hi, I'm in the Detroit area and it is a lovely plant, but if you plant it near a power pole, it may go crazy and take over, even in Michigan. Edison frowns upon it because it can be a problem.

My mother was a farmer south of Cadillac, and she always said the same thing as Sunlicious - Never plant it near a house or a garden you want to keep tidy. You might end up pulling it off your porch roof and from everthing else near it. It will go everywhere, even down here it is hard to control if it likes a spot. Now, if you have something ugly you want covered, and don't need to worry about it going crazy, have at it!
They do sell shorter less invasive varieties, but I'm never actually been able to keep one of them alive, and those have been planted far from anything we cared about.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here