Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice on planting a Privet Fence in NB

Posted by earthad1 4 (My Page) on
Sun, May 13, 07 at 13:28

Hi,

I am trying to create a natural fence line and am looking for some guidance in this project. My backyard shares a property line with a wood lot which has been recently sold and I am told they are planning on building condos.

-I need something that will grow fast and thick.

-I am in New-Brunswick, so our winters are quite fierce.

so far, the only 2 species I have found are :

1.Canadian Hemlock
2.American Arborvitae, which seems nice due to a natural pyramidal shape it takes.

I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions of what can be grown in my climate that would accommodate what I am trying to accomplish.

If anyone at all could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice on planting a Privet Fence in NB

Well, If you have deer in the area Arborvitae is real deer food. Caragana are nice, and very tough. Many Vibernums get very large and flower as well. Cotoneasters are also nice hedge material. Some other prospects are Lilacs or upright Junipers which would give you a winter screen as well, Good luck with this project.

o

Thank you so much for the advice.

I do not have any Deer in the area. It is a residential area and they are clear cutting the last lot of woodland so Arborvitae may be a good solution as I do not want flowers...

o

privet should be fairly easy to grow in N.B. I live in N.S. which is much the same and I have privet. Just start it out right it's pretty hardy Elfin

o

How about a cedar edge, we planted one, about 6 years ago and they're about 10' tall now. They were gathered from the woods. Pretty sad looking when we got them, Our neighbor laugh at us, when we were putting them in the ground. Guess what?.......he went and got some for himself 2 years ago, and made himself an edge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here