Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lavender

Posted by pamelasv 5 (My Page) on
Wed, May 8, 13 at 13:46

Hi. I just put a lavander plant in the ground from a pot i buried in the ground last fall. I (oops) cut it all down before finding out if i needed to leave that old looking wood or not. What do we do with lavander come spring?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lavender

When I had lavender I never cut it down so I couldn't say if it will send out new growth from the roots. Mine didn't send out many new roots but sent out growth from the old branches. The only thing I can suggest is water it and wait and see.

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Fri, May 10, 13 at 8:20

I cut mine back every year to about 2". It sends out new growth quickly. How far back did you cut it - right to the ground or did you leave a bit of stem? It starts sending out new foliage all along the stems but if there is even an inch of stem left it will come back.

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Fri, May 10, 13 at 8:23

I forgot to mention, if you still have the cuttings and are concerned about the one you trimmed, make a fresh cut in the cutting and then stick it in water. It will root.

o

I need to cut mine almost to the ground every spring because there is always so much woody stem, then it always comes back beautiful for the rest of the season.

o

I do cut my lavenders to 2-3 inches in the spring. I do however wait til the dangers of freezing is over before doing this because I have killed off lavenders before when I cut it down too soon. hardpruning too soon exposes it's core to the elements and therefore can kill them off. if yours hasn't bounced back by now, it's probably dead. This year has been rather hard with our unpredictable weather. I've lost a couple of plants despite careful pruning. I think the frost killed off the roots of the plant. Anyway I still have plenty of lavenders and so much so that they reseed and I've little lavenders everywhere.

Ianna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here