Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kianaj_gw

Crape Myrtle / Rose of Sharon

Kianaj
19 years ago

I have just come across a lovely flowering shrub called Crape Myrtle (Lagerstroemia indica 'Peppermint lace') and am wondering if this is available in Ontario.

The 2nd plant I'm looking for is a multi-coloured Rose of Sharon (pink/white/purple) (Rose of Sharon Althea).

Does anyone have any information on these and where I may purchase them?

Comments (10)

• sheryl_ontario
    19 years ago

Crepe myrtle doesn't grow in Ontario, except as a houseplant. Its for a warmer zone. They can be grown from seed, though. I had some seeds at one time, but traded them away. I know gardeners in the south that have grown them from seed, though, and say it is easy. Try "Search the Gardenweb Member's Exchange List" page here: http://members.gardenweb.com/members/exch-search.cgi
    you may find someone who has these things to trade.

Never seen a multicoloured Rose of Sharon. Sounds interesting!

• dehor
    19 years ago

Kianaj, go to the Monrovia website (www.monrovia.com) and use their search engine to find a dealer in your area who orders in from Monrovia.

I just did that, and some local nurseries have informed me that they will order any crape myrtle from Monrovia that I want.

I also wanted Peppermint Lace, but the nursery manager informed me that it is prone to powdery mildew here in the Pacific Northwest, so I will be purchasing the mildew resistant "Zuni", which they already have in stock, merely a few miles away from me.

Unfortunately for you, you won't be able to grow yours outdoors as the crape myrtles appear to be stretching it at Zone 6, even.
    There are also many dwarf varieties available, if you look through the Monrovia web site.

Deborah
    Maple Ridge, BC

Here is a link that might be useful: Zuni Crape Myrtle

• lamico
    19 years ago

You can grow Rose of Sharon very easily from seeds. And they seem to grow in sun or shade.

• lucretiao
    19 years ago

I ordered Peppermint Lace Crape Myrtle and what they called a "Patriot" Rose of Sharon (Red,White & Blue) from Greenwood Nursery. Of course I am quite a bit south of most of you.
    Here is the link to Greenwood Nursery.

http://www.greenwoodnursery.com/page.cfm/11598

• casper1
    19 years ago

If you go to the site of Greenwood Nursery, you will see that " Patriot " is a regular "Rose of Sharon" with two other colours grafted on to it. This is not a difficult task, read up on it, try it,its a lot of fun. Rai

• bonsai_audge
    19 years ago

Where do you live? In Hamilton (my brother studies at Mac) the Rose of Sharons are like weeds... literally! His house that he shares with others has 1 in the front and 2 in the back. There are hundreds and hundreds of seedlings allll over the place. They are multi-coloured (pinks and whites or purples and whites). Point: if you're ever in Hamilton, see if you can dig up maybe a few seedlings (after asking permission from the homeowner, of course!).

-Audric

• peg_in_oregon
    17 years ago

This is a VERY old posting that I came across while looking for information on growing a Rose of Sharon in coastal Oregon. Not right on the beach, but a couple of miles inland. Cool summers & lots of rain in the winter. ANyone know???

• northernexotics
    10 years ago

Check out Southcoast Gardens (Ontario) website. They have many hardy Crepe Myrtles, hardy to USDA zone 6 ( neg 23C) . Lots of other amazing rare plants too. Great quality, big plants for the money. Reasonable prices. I am not associated with this company, just a repeat customer. I have 2 crepe myrtles purchase from South Coast planted and are performing well in my Canadian Hardiness Zone 6 garden . Needs winter protection as you would do for a rhodie and similar soil mix well drained , moderately acid. Mine are deciduous. My "White Chocolate" ( gorgeous on maroon foliage) has been in bloom since mid August and has many bud clusters yet to open as at October 23.

• northernexotics
    10 years ago

Check out Southcoast Gardens (Ontario) website. They have many hardy Crepe Myrtles, hardy to USDA zone 6 ( neg 23C) . Lots of other amazing rare plants too. Great quality, big plants for the money. Reasonable prices. I am not associated with this company, just a repeat customer. I have 2 crepe myrtles purchase from South Coast planted and are performing well in my Canadian Hardiness Zone 6 garden . Needs winter protection as you would do for a rhodie and similar soil mix well drained , moderately acid. Mine are deciduous. My "White Chocolate" ( gorgeous on maroon foliage) has been in bloom since mid August and has many bud clusters yet to open as at October 23.

• pauldorman75
    7 years ago

There is a company in the states called THE CRAPE MYRTLE COMPANY AND A COLD HARDY VARIETY HAS BEEN DEVELOPED. THE NEW ONES GROW UP TO ZONE 6 AND ZONE 5 IF PROTECTED WITH MULCH IN WINTER. I DO NOT KNOW WHY ONTARIO NURSERY LIKE SHERIDAN TO NOT CARRY THEM.BUT THEY DO EXIST AND GROW IN SOUTHERN MICH. AND OHIO SO THERE YOU GO. PAUL TORONTO

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!