Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need suggestions for perennials near school walkway

Posted by david123 4b WI (My Page) on
Mon, May 16, 11 at 17:24

Hello-
I have been in charge of our children's elementary school garden in the front of the building for a few years (it was an absolute mess before then, just not enough volunteers to keep it under control). We received a very generous donation of perennials from a fantastic nursery, and while most survived the winter, many in the front portions of the garden near the sidewalks are gone. There are two reasons why this happened.

1. The snow plows go too far and dug into the front part of the gardens, and
2. Every once in a while, kids do not stay on the sidewalks and trample the ground, especially before something has emerged from the ground.

We cannot use stakes to warn the snow crews to avoid the garden as the principal is worried that the kids will pull them out of the ground and use them as swords (which I kinda can imagine happening :-), but I would love it if we could have some plants in that front 12-18 inches of ground to help keep the weeds down and to beautify the area.

Does anyone have any recommendations of perennials or anything, really, that could handle a snow plow, maybe some deicing salt (I imagine that there is some of that going on), and some trampling by elementary school kids??? It is mostly sunny, if that helps. I am just at a loss as far as what to plant, if anything exists that might even survive these conditions.

Thanks for any input you can provide!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need suggestions for perennials near school walkway

Why don't you try some kind of ground cover? There are so many to choose from like creeping thyme or some sort of low growing sedum. I have a ground cover sedum that my husband "snowblowed" this winter and when spring came, more than half the plant was gone but sure enough, it's growing back. I can't remember the name but I will try to look it up. It blooms yellow flowers in June and July.

Garnet

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here