Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erindonal

Types of vines for picket fence?

erindonal
18 years ago

I have an akebia (chocolate vine), a dropmore scarlet honeysuckle, and a clematis (elsa spaeth) vine and would like to know if any or all of these are good for a wood picket fence? I have concerns that they won't "grab on" or twist around the wide pickets and might be better on a smaller size trellis. Also, are these vines harmful for the wood as far as trapping moisture and causinig the fence to rot prematurely? Any advice regarding these or any other better possibilities for the fence would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

Comments (5)

• Sue_in_NYC
    18 years ago

The clematis won't grab the pickets without some thin twine to tangle around. It won't harm your fence, though. The honeysuckle can be loosely tied to a stake.

Anything big and wet and attached to wood will contribute to its rotting.

• strachan13
    18 years ago

Have you considered sowing morning glories and sweet peas along your fenceline? They're annuals, so you can change the colours from year to year.

I also plant cobea (cup and saucer vine) and hyacinth bean seedlings, and they really grow during the summer. Unfortunately, they're also annuals here. But they sure provide a mass of foliage and flowers by summers end.

• nancyd
    18 years ago

Clematis won't twine around a picket fence; it needs a support and bird netting works great for this. I just cut to size and secure the netting to the fence and the clematis covers it as it grows. This also works for annual vines - although large vines have no problem wrapping around pickets. You'll have to train them as they are growing however. As the vines get longer, I tie them with string along the pickets. In my experience, annual vines don't damage wood fencing as they are dead by late fall. I love annual vines - it's fun to try new ones every year.

• sharon_sd
    18 years ago

Things to consider about a vine on a fence are the weight of the mature vine, how much wind resistance is added by the vine cover and how much air can get to your fence to dry it out after a rain. Your fence needs to have very strong construction to support a large heavy vine.

You are probably better to train annuals such as strachan13 suggested to help you decide some of these things. Annuals also leave the fence free to dry out in the cool wet months.

• lindacart7_gmail_com
    12 years ago

i have had a oriental (smaller) wisteria vine. part of it died but i have one side that's fine. i would like to start another type of vine on the front side of the fence but one not as heavy, although the wisteria twined around the fence beautifully,but gets heavy.

any suggestions?