Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dowlinggram

Gardeners hands

dowlinggram
10 years ago

Gardening is tough on the hands, even if you wear gloves. My cure for rough hands is sugar and baby oil and a good hand cream that doesn't wash off. I put about 1/2 teaspoon of sugar in the palm of my hand and saturate it with baby oil make a washing motion with my hands. The sugar knocks off that rough dry skin. Then I wash my hands with soft soap--only enough to remove the sugar. I keep some baby oil on my hands. Then I pat them semi dry and apply Glucosamine hand cream. This makes my hands soft and hydrated. Of course I have to repeat often because I can't keep my hands out of the soil

Comments (10)

• ianna
    10 years ago

My hands are horrible because of the sun exposure.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

I have found that putting lotion on before I go out into the garden helps me to be able to wash the dirt off when I am finished. Since my hands are invariably covered with dirt when I am outside, I am not putting my hands near my face when I am gardening, so the rubbing eyes isn't an issue.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    10 years ago

I've started wearing gloves over the past couple of years, even though i don't really care for them. My hands are a lot better now, and more presentable!

• strawberryjam_gw
    10 years ago

I have been gardening for many years and what works best for me is medical rubber gloves. I get a box of them from the drugstore and I can use them several times before I need to dispose of them. Mostly they have by then gotten holes in the end of a finger or two. They work so good as you can feel even the tiniest weed with them and they keep the dirt off your hands. There are many in a box so they will last most of the gardening season.

• diane_v_44
    10 years ago

this is a good topic for me as well

I am yes, getting older and that doesn't help with having decent looking hands.
    I cannot seem to wear gloves, guess I could just I choose really not to Something about that dirt on your hands. I don't know what it is.

The odd time I will think about it and take a bar of soap and dig into it getting soap under my fingernails with the hope of hot having to soak my nails when I get in/
    Most times I donm't remember the soap or the cream
    And yes rub your face or eyes, that is me as well.
    My family laugh when I come in from the yard with a dirt mustache or where ever I seem to get dirt.

I spend witners in FLoida in a retirement community. Love it and have without a doubt, the best gardens in the community.
    But, as well,k we play lots of card games and go for lots of lunches and stuff.
    The ladies used to make comments about the possible dirt under my nails or the none manicued look. But not so much anymore Guess they are just used to me.. And I do bring most of them flowers form the garden.

Most days either at home up here in Canada, or down in Florida, I go for a swim at the community pool or the YMCA here in town, have a shower there and then get in the pool come out, most times feeling terrific and clean, for another day

Alas Like yourself runs with scissors I don't think hands will ever be a fine feature for me.

I do remember using Lava soap though and it was good Thanks for mentioning this. I am going to look for some.

• dowlinggram
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dianne-- Put your hose nozzle on jet and run it over your nails. It works better than using a nail brush for getting dirt from under your nails and is easier on the hands and nail beds

• diane_v_44
    10 years ago

That is a good idea,
    had never even thought of doing so

Will give it a go

Thanks

• wittyraven
    10 years ago

I use lotion bars, helps a lot. I make my own. 1/3 beeswax or soy wax, 1/3 shea or cocoa butter, 1/3 sunflower oil. Sometimes I add peppermint or sweet orange essential oil but sometimes I just leave it unscented. nUsing it before and after gardening helps keep the dirt from sticking in my nails bad and definitely prevents cracking skin. I use these during the dry cold winter we have here too.

• diane_v_44
    10 years ago

wittyraven

that does sound so nice
    I remember when I was younger doing some nice things like that. Special nice ideas. Seems I don't get around to doing so much of these nice things anymore You would think
    when one is retired you would have more time. Funny how it is , that life changes so much

Keep up making your soap. Sure does sound nice to me.
    I just came in from the yard Spreading top soil and putting down some seed on the front lawn Of course have to get my hands right in the dirt. tonight going to a baby shower so I shall have to do some work on my hands and nails
    Gloves would be a great idea but I just do not do the glove thing..

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area