Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raemarti

Wood Container Drainage

raemarti
10 years ago

Hello, I am a fairly new gardner from Alaska. I have gardened here in the past but it was years ago. Late last summer I built a new privacy fence(2x4 & cedar) with left over wood on my decking. See pic. I drilled 3 holes for drainage in each run and offset each hole in each tier so they are not directly above each other. My question, do I need more drainage holes in each run or is the 3 holes each enough? I would like to plant Scarlett Runner Beans on the tops tiers to bush it out and some chive, radish, and beet in the lower tiers. Might throw some nastrishums flowers in too. Thank you for your time.

Comments (5)

• dowlinggram
    10 years ago

The problem I see is even with off set holes the plants in the bottom tiers are going to get very wet. I also don't think your boards are deep enough to support a root system of most plants. They don't look any deeper than 4 inches. Filled with soil it would only be 3 1/2 inches and that is much too shallow. What I would do is plant in pots under your ( trellis--for want of a better word) and plant my runner beans in them Then I would get pots I could attach to the top pieces. and hang the pots on the cross pieces. They do make plant hangers for this purpose or you could make them out of wire. Then plant your radish and beets and chives in them.

• raemarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you dowlinggram, My main purpose is privacy. Would like some edibles in there but not an absolute want. Those are 1x6 cedar sides but I lose an inch and a half vertically so it is quite shallow as you said. Would love to plant some perinnuals in those runs so they come back year after year with just a little TLC. I can always re-work it and mirror the other privacy fence in the picture. And plant container gardens on the deck. Thank You!

• raemarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you dowlinggram, My main purpose is privacy. Would like some edibles in there but not an absolute want. Those are 1x6 cedar sides but I lose an inch and a half vertically so it is quite shallow as you said. Would love to plant some perinnuals in those runs so they come back year after year with just a little TLC. I can always re-work it and mirror the other privacy fence in the picture. And plant container gardens on the deck. Thank You!

• raemarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

• dowlinggram
    10 years ago

If you are putting perennials in any container you must have solid foam insulation lining the containers and then they might not make it in Alaska's cold winters. The difference between plants in containers versus the ground is that a container is exposed to freezing from all sides as opposed to just from the top in the ground. Unless you can bury pot and all in the ground I would reconsider using perennials.

Scarlet runner beans do make a nice privacy screen and do produce edible beans. Soak the seed overnight before you plant them so they get off to a good start.

I plant herbs like basil, rosemary and golden oregano in my pots with my flowers so think outside the box when filling your planters and plant your veggies in the pots and include the odd flower. You will have in the nice foliage of the veggies and the pop of color from the flowers

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus