Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcb123_gw

Weigela 'red prince' shrub

dcb123
18 years ago

I purchased the subject shrub on a whim with some advice from a fellow shopper. My question now is whether this shrub will survive our Manitoba winter. It is listed as good for a zone 4 and I am in 3B. However I have placed in my front lawn area that gets no shelter.

If I wished to maintain it through the winter does anyone have any suggestions how I might accomplish that.

Comments (6)

• maggiemuffin360
    18 years ago

I planted a weigela shrub last year - red prince as well, I believe. Seems to have survived our zone 3 winter. It started to leaf out a couple of weeks ago. It is planted close to the house so gets some protection. Mulched it last winter with straw and, of course, there was lots of snow cover...
    Margaret

• clairdo2
    18 years ago

I also have a Weigela red prince that i planted last year and it's starting to leaf now. I am also in zone 3

• kmrunner
    18 years ago

I planted a Weigela last year and I thought it had died over the Winter. However, it is now starting to leaf out, and it looks ok after all. Mine is planted in a area sheltered from the wind, where it will get lots of snow piled on it from the sidewalk. Apparently, keeping it covered with snow is the key to success in my zone (Canadian Zone 3).

• glen3a
    18 years ago

I planted a weigela 'midnight' last spring and this spring it looked dead, I mean the branches were dry and brittle. Now I see it's sprouting from near the base. It just had good snowcover for the winter.

I think in our zone some winter damage is expected with this plant.

• jetred
    18 years ago

Hi

I've had "Red Prince" for five years and it always puts on a really good show. Blooms a long time and reblooms periodically over summer. I give it a little "haircut" after blooming as it blooms on old wood.

• brian_morrell1_ntlworld_com
    12 years ago

OK I dont know if it is a weigela plant for sure, but my question is. Has anyone seen very small bright red pointed objects stuck on the top of some of the leaves? Is it a disease or a ceature using the leaf to get a start in life? they are laid out on the leaf/ leaves pointing upwards a bit like a very small spike shaped cone stuck onto the leaf.

Or have I discovered a new life form

Many regards, response would be most welcome

Sponsored