Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbie_n_ontario

Need A Garden Buddy in Northern Ontario...May

Debbie_N_Ontario
16 years ago

Hi everyone

Hope u are all having fun out in your gardens. I have yet to get out there and start the clean up. I do have flowers blooming now, scillias, hundreds of them. *S*

I have transplanted all my petunias into their own pots now and I sure hope they grow fast. They seem to be a bit slow this year. I still have the marigolds to transplant.

Take care

Debbie :-)

Comments (4)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

Everything's slow this year - even me! LOL I have lots of transplanting to do too, and no room to keep anything. I have some things - mostly petunias - outside in the mini-greenhouse, and they're going to have to stay there because there's no room inside. I have petunia baskets in the cold frame, as well as some geraniums and several plants from orders that are starting to come in. I'm nuts. Totally.

Winter sowing - things are popping up almost every day. Fortunately, i only had 85 containers this year! And there's still all the morning glories to plant. Tomorrow's job, hopefully - as well as the transplanting.

The weather has finally warmed up, but we've had lots of wind and virtually no rain. The ground is like powder. There are even forest fires around already - i think that one from last year overwintered and has flared up again.

I've had mouse damage on a few things - the Champlain rose and one of my eunonymous bushes. All the roses are slow in leafing out, and many of them seem to have suffered winter damage even though they were covered. Big sigh.

Danni, Gale and i met up in Thunder Bay. We went to a couple of nurseries but we were all very restrained. :) I knew i wouldn't have any room coming back because there were four of us and all our stuff. But today, my daughter and i hit a couple of places in Dryden. I wanted to get some million bells and osteospermum before they ran out, and Allison got some herbs and a hanging basket of black-eyed Susan vine.

Things blooming - some scilla, some snowdrops, a few crocus, one tulip, two hyacinths and a clump of chiondoxa (or however that's spelled). Many of the tulips are just starting to poke up and things aren't going to do so well if we don't get some rain. It's always predicted and always passes us by.

Anyhow, that's about it for now. Hope you get out into your garden soon, Debbie! :)

Marcia

• Debbie_N_Ontario
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Marcia,
    I did get into the garden. Have been in there a few days cleaning out old hosta flower stems from last year and lily sticks. It was 29C a couple of days and then 30C the next, then it dropped down to 2C the next day with -2C windchill and -4C the next. So I put the a/cs in one day and took them out that night.......LOL crazy weather!

I have all my marigolds and petunias, geraniums and impatiens all potted up into their own pots, but they are still so tiny!
    I have lots of scillias and that blue tiny flower, star of bethleham I think it is, I always forget and two tulips blooming. The tulips that I planted last year seem to be starting to poke up thru the ground and I even have hostas coming up, which is very very early for them!
    I still have tons of work to do in the yard though, the old back is not allowing me to bend over and pull out things without a lot of pain, so I'm going very slow. This time of year I always feel so old... *L* But at least I can see tons better this year so I am enjoying the garden much more! Yeahh. *S*

Son came over and hooked up the front hose for me today and I will get the soaker hoses hooked up as soon as I get some washers. Then I can put down some more shredded paper for mulch. The trees are starting to leaf out too and my marsh marigolds are blooming. *S*

Sounds like you are having fires up there. Apparently there is a no fire restriction on in all of northern ontario. It is very dry here too and that is why I wanted to get the hoses hooked up.

Marcia, u planted 85 containers of winter sowing and all those other plants u have to? Oh boy, are u gonna be busy...*S*

Sorry to hear about the mouse damage. My roses have not leafed out yet, and I sure hope they didn't get winter killed, seeing as we didn't have much snow cover when it was -40 and -30's I'm a bit concerned.

Take care

• lappe
    16 years ago

Morning,

Long time since I posted, nice to see that you are keeping the post going Debbie.

I have been busy getting the gardens up and running. It was so warm and sunny here, and now that the long weekend is here it is suppose to get cold and wet. We really need the rain for all the fires but I have so much I wanted to do.

My 1st question is.. I know your not suppose to move day lilies at this time of year, but I don't want them in, that spot any more, if I move them will the still bloom this year.

2nd question is does anyone know of a plant that looks tropical that I can put around my pond, it could be an annual,the pond is driving me nuts, I am going to try making a bio filter for it this weekend, one that is outside of the pond, will plant that and hopefully the water will clear.

Other than that not much happening, the lassange beds I made are doing great, I just keep adding to them, love the no digging part.

Well, thought I'd just stop by and say hello

Take care and happy gardening

janet

• Debbie_N_Ontario
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi
    Friday I had to wear shorts as it was so hot to work outside, Saturday woke up to 3 inches of snow on the ground and -7C now.
    Here are the crabapple blossoms that were blooming.

{{!gwi}}

I don't know what will happen to them, they have never bloomed this early before.
    Also the marsh marigolds.

{{!gwi}}
    This is what I woke up to.

{{!gwi}}

Janet, I have heard that calla lilies can be planted around a pond. I have never tried it though. I have planted impatiens around the pond before and they did pretty well. That's all that I can think of right now.
    Take care

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting