Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberries??Where can I find them??

Posted by melissa_mumof4 4 (msw12142001@yahoo.ca) on
Tue, Jun 19, 07 at 4:07

Hi everyone,
I have spent countless hours driving down back roads and countless amounts of gas money(much to hubbys despair) looking for some blueberry bushes(either bush or tall) where I am,
Could someone tell me a good location??? I have four kids and would love to pick some to store for winter use ???
I live just outside of Sturgeon Falls, and am not afraid to drive a ways to get these.
Thanks in advance,
Melissa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberries??Where can I find them??

They aren't ripe for picking until end of July/mid August. You will need permission of the landowner to pick unless you are sure it is crown land, not Indian land, provincial or national park land or protected land.

Usually found on dry, rocky, granite based soils in full sun. Most blueberries in Ontario will be low bush. Rocky pink granite outcrop areas near lake or rivershore with juniper growing nearby would be good places to look. If you are driving near forested areas, much less likely to find them, they don't grow in good, deep soil nor in forests.

You are near the French River; have you ever taken out a canoe on any of the canoe routes? Should be blueberries somewhere along them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here