Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
highway median flowers

Posted by Patrick_NH z4/5 NH (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 16, 04 at 8:51

Anyone know the name of the purple flowers that were in bloom along many highways in the northeast and upper midwest during the first week of June? About 3 feet tall spikes of phlox like flowers, only not as large of a head. Most were purple, but there were occasionally some off white ones too. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: highway median flowers

Probably Dame's Rocket....

o

It might be purple loosestrife (very invasive), but that's only a guess.

-Audric

o

Mine are blooming in the gardens at this time. Dame's Rocket it is! Love the smell!!
Nicole.

o

I have a few as well..Now I think maybe I have not identified them...I have some long thin bursting with purple flowers all along the arrow like stem...maybe those are Dames Rocket. the ones I thought were Dames Rocket..are tall with clusters of small flowers bursting out of a sunburst of stems..they, are white, pink, or pale purple?? now I have to look up what they are... I thought that most along the highways were Purple Loostrife, as Audric suggests..!martha/zucchini

o

Its is dame's rocket (hestpris) and one of my favourite flowers! I've had them in my garden for years, one purple and one white. They grow into a lovely large clump and, if you cut the flowers off after blooming, they will rebloom and so last most of the summer. Fabulous perennial! You can buy them at a lot of garden centers, I got mine at the side of the road.

o

Check out the flowers closely. If the have four or five little red "stems" for lack of a better word, they could be Viper's Bugloss. They are bloomimg right now all over Manitoulin Island and farther north into Kirkland Lake and Timmins, Ontario

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here