Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
appletreasure

roses and delphiniums or clematis

appletreasure
18 years ago

I would like to plant clematis and delphiniums against a fence and then plant a shrub rose in front of them.

I know clematis like cold feet, I don't know the name of the variety I have, I just know it is very hardy with a yellow flower.

Does anyone see a problem with this planting idea?

The fence is facing South west so will be quite warm, I live in zone 3.

Thanks

Comments (5)

• glen3a
    18 years ago

Do you possibly have clematis tangutica? One variety of it is called 'radar love' and it gets yellow bell shaped flowers. If so, I find the vine very hardy, mine survives in poor soil growing up my carport post.

I don't see a problem with your idea. Yes, clematis like cool feet but the shrub rose will shade the ground a bit around the base of the clematis, or you can plant annuals until the rose spreads out a bit. Even a lawn ornamental placed in the right spot can shade the ground, or some mulch.

I read that yes, clematis like "cool feet" but what they really like is adequate moisture, which is usually found in shady areas. So, I guess just be sure to water regularly if the area dries out from the intense sun.

Do you already have delphinium? If you want a smaller type of delphinium try the 'fountain' series, they grow 30 to 36 inches tall. Not sure, but that might make them less prone to flopping over (other delphiniums get 4 or 5 feet high.)

Good Luck,

Glen

• shapiro
    18 years ago

About delphiniums "flopping" - I used to drive myself crazy each spring, putting bamboo stakes around my delphiniums and then wrapping string around each to prevent flopping Since I have a "row" of delphiniums about 9 feet long, this was a lengthy process. Then I had the idea to place a TALL tomato cage around each plant. Problem solved! The cages have been there for about 5 or 6 years now, I never remove them - they are a permanent fixture. Early spring, I can thin out the spikes, if needed, and within a few weeks, the plants grow up through the wires and the cages disappear completely. Very rarely do I get a branch flopping near the top and if the occasional spike grows outside the cage, I use that wonderful stuff, velcro plant ties, to hook that spike up to the cage. Delphinium without the bother!

• Pink_Petunia
    18 years ago

I have a very hardy yellow bell shaped clematis and it's just called "golden clematis". It grows on the old wood year after year. I find it needs a real good prune each year as it's very vigorous.

• clairabelle
    18 years ago

I have a Jackmanii growing up a trellis behind several delphiniums and they work very well together... especially when in bloom! :)

• anemone
    18 years ago

Hi Shapiro,

Could you please describe your tall tomato cages... the tall ones I've seen are a lot wider too than the regular ones.... think they might be too wide for delphiniums tho.

I've had a lovely clump of delphiniums which I started from seed years ago, and I would love to not have to go through all the work of tying them up.

Thanks so much in advance.

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures