Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acfurino

please help me!! my perrenials are dying!!

acfurino
13 years ago

About one month ago I planted a garden in front of my mom's house for mother's day. I'm located in Bay Shore, New York (Long Island).

I went to Walmart and bought soil and perrenials. The soil I got was Miracle Gro "Moisture Control" Garden Soil.

I forget the exact name of the perrenials but I got two kinds. I also bought one kind of seasonal. All three types were bought from Walmart two days before I planted. It was about 10-12 flowers total. I planted them from left to right: Perrenial #1 - Seasonal - Perrenial #2 - Seasonal - Perrenial #1 - Seasonal - Perrenial #2 ... as so on. All flowers were planted about one foot away from each other.

Before I planted the flowers, I dug up just a little bit of dirt (not much) and put down one layer of the Miracle Gro soil and 4-6 inches high. I then planted the flowers and added another 4-6 inches of Miracle Gro soil to surround it. I guess this is called a raised bed?

The location of this garden is in front of the house on the lawn (and as mentioned above in Bay Shore, New York).

The flowers get enough sun (6-8 hours) and they are watered once a day.

*Each day that goes by, the perrenial flowers die more and more and now some are turning brown. The seasonal look like they're growing because they got taller. But what is wrong with the perrenials?? How can I fix this and make them grow and eventually bloom?

PLEASE HELP ME IT WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thanks,

Anthony

acfurino@yahoo.com

Comments (6)

• acfurino
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Names of perrenials are Peppermint Star Dianthus and Christy Veronica

• clairabelle
    13 years ago

Were the plants OUTDOORS when u bought them? If not, perhaps it's just shock from changing temps.

Could also be too much OR not enough water. Did u water thoroughly WHEN U PLANTED? Maybe the water's not reaching the roots or perhaps the root ball was dry when u planted?

Could also be just an initial droop from being transplanted. Sometimes perennials are slower to "show" new growth (takes awhile to acclimatize)

Do not dispair! :D

• diggy500
    13 years ago

hi Acfurino

Stop watering the perinnials so much....it is not good for them.mother nature will take care of that..unless there is no rain for some time...an inch a week is good..
    and a little fertilizer is ok also..

cheers and good luck
    diggy

• marricgardens
    13 years ago

I agree with diggy, especially if you have been getting rain every day or so. If that's the case, you don't need to water.

• ianna
    13 years ago

Hi all, are the leaves otherwise healthy? Aside from transplant shock, it's also possibly the overapplication of miracle gro which contains chemical fertilizers which can be too much and cause root burns. If the leaves are healthy, there's nothing wrong with the plants. You would probably be seeing a natural thing with the flowers simply turning brown as in most dianthus around mid June. Consider too the many of these perennials (BTW - this is the right spelling), are started early in the process and therefore bloom earlier than what should be around this time of the year. In order for sellers to attract people to buy these plants, they would need them to bloom earlier. This is usually good for people who are not so familiar with plants and may not know what the blooms like.

• tcskitten
    12 years ago

I tend to agree with ianna. When first i read "Miracle Grow", I cringed. You must remember that you are dealing with young/baby plants. As such, their root systems are not equipped to use such additives yet. Also, your soil with built in water retainers, might be holding too much water... thereby not allowing oxygen to be taken up by the young roots.
    If it were me, I'd gently lift a few of the affected plants out of the soil, and examine their roots. See if the roots are mushy, dark and slimy ...OR ... are they dry and still in the same square shape, as when you planted them.
    Best of luck ...let us know what you find

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus