Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jvalel

Lily of the Valley (taking over)

jvalel
17 years ago

Hi,

We just moved into our house about 8 months ago, and now that winter is over, we have laid sod over our yard and done some small and humble landscaping.

The neighbors have now informed us that Lilly of the Valley was growing in previous years in some parts of our yard that now has sod on it.

How can I get rid of this plant without digging up new sod, and getting to the roots?

Also Snow in the Mountin?

Many Thanks,

Comments (6)

• dannie
    17 years ago

I would just keep mowing it down and pulling what you can. I had the same growing in a spot that we sodded over three years ago and only a few came up this year. If you keep at it, it will run out of food as that is made by the leaves and it will die out.

Danni

• sassie60
    17 years ago

I love Lily of the Valley, but in the lawn, it is a problem. In my garden I have to dig very, very deep to make sure I get all the roots when I want to transplant it since it's very tubular. If you break the roots, they'll be back! Other than that, I have no other info for you. If you can transplant it, you'll enjoy it in the new spot you choose.
    Sandy

• cziga
    17 years ago

I sympathize with you over the Snow on the Mountain problem. I'm pretty sure that is the plant which is taking over the garden i just "inheirited". It is everywhere and so hard to get rid of. I'm getting it all out slowly with a lot of back-breaking digging. Make sure you get out all the roots, this things are notorious. Roots go down pretty deep sometimes, and if you leave too many little pieces in the ground, they will start growing new flowers really quickly. Its a time-consuming effort to get rid of all of them. I even sift through the soil i dig up to make sure i'm getting out all the major and larger root pieces and the ones that look at all alive.

I also expect to be doing the same thing, albeit on a slightly smaller scale, next spring when the pieces I missed this time around come back up again :)

My mother laughs at me and says that this is why gardening is hard work. And in this heat, whew!

Snow on the Mountain. It has taught me a valuable lesson about groundcover plants, and I will never use them in an area that I want to plant in. Ever.

• colemcbride
    17 years ago

I just planted some Lilly of the Valley along the side of our home. I just can't wait for it to spread and take over the space. I planted about 10 plants (transplants from a neighbor) and the space is about 3'x5'. About how long will it take to fill in? It doesn't seem as if there are any new leaves popping up - would they be expected to spread now or nearer to the next blooming season in May?

• student64_hotsheet_com
    12 years ago

Anyone want my Lilly's of the Valley I am digging them up they love shaddy areas. Before you plant them decide where you want them don't plant anything else in the area other wise the Lilly's will take over and choke out the other plants.

• don555
    12 years ago

Wouldn't 2-4-D kill off lily of the valley? It kills broadleaf weeds without harming grass.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm