Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
posieh_gw

Ginkgo's

posieh
15 years ago

I'm wondering if anyone in Zone 2 or 3 has grown Ginkgo's? They look so interesting.

Comments (5)

• marricgardens
    15 years ago

Hi. I have a ginkgo but I'm in Z5a. Our tree is planted out in the open and we get very strong north/northwest winds in winter. The tree is just surviving. It was rated Z4 hardy. Maybe planted in a more sheltered spot it would do better. Marg

• glen3a
    15 years ago

I grow a ginkgo, though I do provide winter protection. I surround the tree with a frame made out of 2x4's lumber and then staple tarpauline material onto this. This makes a bit of difference and my tree has survived well, now approaching 8 feet tall.

As for growing a ginkgo unprotected in zone 3, it can be done, but you may experience winter damage ranging from "just a bit" to "extreme" depending on your site, climate, etc. A sheltered location is a must. Also, apparently older ginkgo trees are hardier than young ones, so some sources suggest starting with a tree of at least 3/4" trunk or so. You know, maybe one in a 5 gallon pot if you can obtain one (at the nursery in spring). I sort of agree with this, I had a one foot ginkgo that suffered winter damage each year until it finally died,even though I mulched it for winter.

If you do plant a ginkgo perhaps winter protect for a few years at least, just to help it get established. Expect some branch dieback.

Glen

• posieh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks folks, appreciate your input.

• jak1
    15 years ago

I have a "weeping" Gingko, that is one that has been grafted so that it kid of grows like an umbrella rather than upright. I have had it here for 3 years and although it leafed out very nicely each year, it was only this spring that it really started to grow. It has put out about a foot of new growth on every branch, and the leaves are noticablyu larger this year as well. I had a similar experience in my last house - "weeping" habit, no action for a few summers, then lots of grwth. I make sure that it gets adequate water and I do not porovide any winter protection, although I do cage the base to discourage critters. It is in poor soil, full sun, open and windy area. Looks great and is resistant to virtually all pests and diseases. I am in zone 4b, maybe 5a. My tage says hardy to zone 3, so in a protected environment and a little babying, you might be o.k. I bought mine at *al*art, and it s trunk was only about an inch thick. Good luck!

• glen3a
    15 years ago

Jak1's posting reminds me of another thing that I read. Some sources recommend that, in cold zones, to mulch the ground around the base of the plant for the winter. Apparently the tree is sort of shallow rooted (though personally I've never noticed this) and also the roots have a high moisture content, making them more susceptible to freeze damage. Just what I heard, at the very least you might want to ensure you mound nice fluffy winter snow around the base of the tree even if you don't provide any other protection.

Glen

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions