Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tomatoes and rainwater?

Posted by Nanny240 none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 17:27

I am a newbie container box gardener and I want to plant tomatoes but everywhere I read about them they stress how tomatoes hate to have their foliage wet. I have an excellent soaker hose network in my container box, but what happens if the tomatoes are exposed to getting soaked by rain? Help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tomatoes and rainwater?

If your tomatoes get a little rain it won't hurt them if you get a downpour then turn off your soaker hose for a couple of days until the soil dries a bit. Don't let them get too dry though. Tomatoes like a constant moistness but not sopping wet.

My neighbor grows cherry tomatoes in pots. She doesn't have a soaker hose and she puts mulch on top of the soil around the tomatoes. This ensures the tomatoes don't dry out fast but can stay out in the rain.

Now we live in zone 3 with moderate summer temperatures. If you live in a hot zone you will need that soaker hose to keep them moist. You will have weigh your options and decide what works best for you

o
RE: tomatoes and rainwater?

The idea is to keep the foliage as dry as possible to prevent diseases. Can't do much about the rain.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here