Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
outdoor cacti

Posted by wiley1983 none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 18:58

I collect cacti and succulants and am looking for cacti that will survive our nova scotian winters, can someone help me out? I will also trade indoor cacti and many other types of plants, i also have many, many seeds

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: outdoor cacti

This one in the photo is known as Opuntia humifusa. It is the only true cacti that I have ever seen sold for the outdoor garden here. It grows natively along the shoreline from about Cape Cod, Ma. to Florida. It blooms here in June. (Been told mine have a bit more orange than most for whatever reason). Bet it would grow for you in a sunny, well-drained site. Leaves will naturally pucker up in the Winter, then re-inflate in the Spring. They seem to cope quite well in a humid, rainy climate ( which locally can mean up to 80 inches of liquid precip./year). Easy to propagate from a cut pad. You should be able to acquire them from a Canadian source. Wear gloves when handling the pads, they are prickly (with 'glochids' and occasionally longer thorns). Eventually will from a sort of ground cover. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Opuntia humifusa

o

• Posted by jel48 Z4 Michigan (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 8:54

Your cactus is beautiful, njoasis! Aren't those the ones commonly known as Prickly Pear? Or are they something a little different?

o

Yes, they are prickly pears. Lots and lots of different species of Opuntia. This is the only species I know of that will put up with both snowstorms and the incessant, tropical rains of this year. Seem to be less commonly sold compared to only a few years ago. Probably because people have learned that, yes, they do spread, and yes, they do have those prickly little thorns.

o

Opuntia humifusa is the most tolerant of the Nova Scotia hardy cacti to wet winter conditions.

You'll also want to try Opuntia polycantha (native to Alberta) and Opuntia fragilis (BC to Ontario).

Cylindropuntia imbricata may also be tolerant enough of wet winters to survive...it does in my Ontario garden without protection.

There are loads of other zone 5 hardy cacti to try but only if you build a rain/snow shelter (open on the sides) 2-3' above the cacti garden in winter to keep the moisture off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here