Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barryr_gw

Privet hedge

barryr
18 years ago

I have a privet hedge, about six feet tall and about 15 years old, which in now mostly bare wood except for a little green at the top. Can it be revived by cutting it down very short, or should it simply be removed and start over new? If it can be cut short, about how high should it be cut down to?

Thanks

Comments (7)

• barryr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you Dawn522 for your excellent follow up.

I will try cutting two feet off the top of the six-seven foot hedge and tapering its entire height almost to a point at the top. I am assuming that this probably should not be too severe a cut back even in hot early summer weather. Anyway I would certainly prefer not to wait until early next spring before doing anything. It too will look completely dead when I am done. I will clean, mulch and then water the bottom well a couple times a week and hope for the best. I would imagine something like a starter fertilizer might also help. Please correct me if I am wrong on any of this. Thanks again.

• schenley
    18 years ago

Barry: Several years ago I moved an entire privet line from one side of the house to another. Several weeks (early Spring) before I did this, I cut the entire line down to about a foot high. By the end of the summer, the privet's were not only back to normal height, but much thicker; I think it actually revived them because mine had become quite leggy also.

• transient
    17 years ago

I have a 90 foot hedge on each side of my driveway,about 6 foot tall.Has anyone noticed that when you cut them down,as you should about every 10 years,that they will fill up the rest of your entire yard. I'm getting ready to trim mine down to about a foot tall.I've got a neighbor who has goats.I'm gonna feed them the hedge.I read that in china they make tea from privet, so I'm thinking it should be o.k. for the goats.Has anyone heard anything different?

• nancy_on_pearl
    16 years ago

I have a new home with 280' of 5' Privet hedge that was planted in 1940. I doubt it has ever been trimmed to 2 feet. Right now it is full of maple saplings so I am wondering if I should give it a hard pruning and if I pull out the saplings all at once is it going to hurt the hedge?

• sfsuperstar
    16 years ago

Hi Nancy, I had the same thing when we moved in last summer -- old 1940's privet about 4' that had never been pruned properly. It was all straight bare upright sticks for about 3 1/2 feet, then 6 inches of green thicket stuff at the top where the owner had just kept shaving it off. It was full of maples vines and all kinds of other vines. And I could see right through it! After reading a lot online, the advice I took was to take a chainsaw to it, chopping the whole thing to about 10" high earlier this spring (2nd week in May)! My neighbors thought I was nuts and it looked very sparse and scary for a few weeks, but within 2 weeks or so there were green leaves all over those sticks, and now it's starting to fill in. It's short still, but full and green and it will be great by the end of the summer. I plan to follow a 3-year training plan I read online, trimming it to a rounded top shape each year, with no more than 12" or so new growth, to keep it branching and dense and allowing lots of light to reach those bottom branches. I'd definitely recommend the hard prune to start, though! I think you'd be fine to do it now, from what I've read nothing can kill these plants. That's my experience, hope yours goes as well!

• bryan_biolumglass_com
    15 years ago

I found the answer to my leggy privet hedge problem here, thank you. But I have a further question. I am new to this planting zone, moved here in May of 08, so this is my first spring and I am anxious to get chopping on these plants. Is March too soon? When do I know when its safe to cut them back? Thank you.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor