Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tulips

Posted by crazyone zone 3 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 16, 09 at 21:20

has any one had success with lifting tulip bulbs after the leaves yellow and storing for a move? but quite possibly the move will not be until winter so how do I store and if i plant in spring will anything grow ( i realize they will not bloom most likely)
however i do have the option of a worked up plot of dirt i could move them too now on our land only to transplant again next spring or fall
any opinions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tulips

When in winter are you moving, and when does the soil freeze in your area?

I have a couple of ideas, but it's best to know timetables so you're not doing work at the wrong time of year to create more hassles.

o

time of move is dependant on sale of current home and build time of new one.

I have dug most already after the leaves turned brown and now have in a mesh basket drying with tops still atached.

i can work up an area out there but i worry about gophers and such digging up or will most rodents leave alone until they actually come up again in spring?

PS soil freezes in about dec.

o

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (near (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 27, 09 at 21:29

I have "heeled in" tulips into pots, and let them die back in the early summer. These pots can be put out in the early winter, and brought into the garage for the really cold time of winter. I even put on top of them a few shovels full of snow. It may be worth the exra effort. Right now I have 6 large pots cram packed full of tulip bulbs I lifted so that I could plant my dahlias. In the fall, I will lift the dahlias and plant the tulip bulbs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here