Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbie_n_ontario

Need A Garden Buddy in Northern Ontario... June

Debbie_N_Ontario
16 years ago

Hi everyone!

Hope your all busy in your gardens. I am still cleaning up mine. It has been raining the past few days so wasn't able to get out much. But today I went out and started pruning back some of the roses. It looks like quite a few got very badly winter killed this year. I think my Winnipeg Parks might be toast. My hostas are really unfurling quickly, I will have to get some slug bait put out before the hostas have holes throughtout all of them. I have quite a few tulips popping up now that I planted last year from Walmart, but they are so skinny. I will have to make sure I fertilize them well this year.

Lots of birds around now and our little chipmunk is back too. I bought him some corn on the cob and he is enjoying that. And the cat is enjoying the chipmunk enjoying the corn. *L* It's like having a widescreen tv for the cat. *L*

Take care

Debbie :-)

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (11)

• clairdo2
    16 years ago

Hi Debbie I've planted everything in the garden except cucumbers. We're suppose to get a frost Wed. night so I'll have to cover everything. What a pain.Do you think i'll need to cover the potato plants. I don't know how hardy they are.
    Claire

• dannie
    16 years ago

Hi all
    I guess I will hold off planting any container gardens until after Wednesday. It is too late for the perennials since they all got planted on Saturday. I lost over 90% of my perennials in the back yard including bleeding hearts and irises that had been there for over 20 years. It would have been the fourth year for the other perennials. This has been a brutal winter. Strangely enough, most perennials in the front yard survived. I only lost a coneflower, a perennial geranium and maybe a hosta or two. I haven't given up on the hostas yet as they took a long time to show up last year.
    Hopefully we won't get the frost on Wednesday. Keeping my fingers and my toes crossed!

• lappe
    16 years ago

Morning,

That is just horrible about your perennials Dannie, I lost quite a few things also, I had only one tulip come up and it was pretty sad, no bloom. I guess we are going to have to start mulching heavy, no snow and the extreme cold and all. I put everything out, they say after the 1st full moon in June and that was this weekend, besides I can't wait it all looks so much better with a few containers and annuals with the flowers already there. I just checked the forecast and it has changed looks like no frost, so I think we are safe now till what, maybe August. lol
    Anyways you all have a great time in your gardens

Janet

• clairdo2
    16 years ago

I just went out and covered my tomatoes and some of my beans and also brought in my hanging plants.Hope my potatoes don't freeze ,I didn't cover them.

• Debbie_N_Ontario
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi everyone,
    It hasn't been that nice here lately. The sun came out for a couple of hours today but then turned cool again so I had to bring the plants back in the house. I haven't planted anything in the gardens yet and haven't finished cleaning up. In one bed where I planted all the daffs and about 20 tulips not one thing has come up. I am still missing a few hostas too and some daylilies and coneflowers too. I have to finish cutting back the roses, but have to wait for the black flies to die back a bit as nothing seems to kill them.

Claire, as far as i know potatoes can take a bit of a frost, but it has been years since I have grown them so I don't know how much frost they can take.

Dannie, I am so sorry to hear that u lost so many of your perennials. That is terrible! I am still waiting for all the hostas in one of the back beds to pop up and I hope they do cause they are some of my most costly and favs. I'm hoping they are just late this year.

It went down to -4 last night with the windchill and I hope now that the full moon is over things will straighten out and start being nice again.

Claire, u have planted your tomatoes and beans already too? wow! I hope your potatoes will be ok.

Take care

• dannie
    16 years ago

Debbie

I am keeping my fingers crossed for your hostas. I dug up one or two of mine and they are totally dead. There wasn't a hint of green on them. Last Saturday, I went on a shopping spree and replaced most of what I had. Of course, I took advantage of buying more than I should have. Hubby was an exellent enabler too! I do have a few more to get but I am going to wait until June 18 when I can use my "Dutch" dollars at Vanderwees. I tried using them on Saturday but they won't take them till the 18th.
    Last night, even though it went down to 1C, we didn't get any frost. I was happy about that since we didn't cover the perennials. Now I can get busy planting my container gardens.
    Oh I have an absolutely gorgeous Pink Champagne clematis in full bloom at the front of the house. This is the best year for it yet and I have had it for 10 or so years. If I ever get the digital camera from my daughter, I will take a picture and post it.

Danielle

• big_thunder
    16 years ago

Hello and wishing you all a great growning season!
    I too lost a lot of my plants this winter was horrible to all of us that love the garden.
    Dannie, I even lost my poor little (and so loved) bleeding heart plant that you so nicely gave me :( Now I am looking for a replacement at all the stores I go to. Wish me luck, It is so expensive trying to get all the plants I lost.
    I hope you all have a real nice summer.
    Yours in gardening
    Marzy

• Debbie_N_Ontario
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi everyone,
    Well today I finally planted the last flowers in the pots. So that job is done. It has been so hot here for over a week but today it was a normal 25C so that was nice. I still am way behind in my garden jobs but what else is knew. My Morden Centennial and Winnipeg Park roses are dead, Summer music hosta and August Moon didn't come back either. I haven't been around the whole yard yet, but I have also lost some lilies.
    We have found out that our porch roof is rotten and have been getting wasps, hornets whatever they are in the porch! Also flying around outside in the rose garden and I am terrified of bees! We are suppose to have the estimate from the roofer this coming week so that out to be fun, the balcony will have to be taken down off the porch roof, don't know how that is going to work. I tell ya something always needs to be fixed in this place it seems.
    I also got bit by an ant yesterday when i was trying to pull out weeds in the rose garden, I guess they didn't like me watering either. I didn't know those things could hurt like that. So I will have to get rid of them; there must be a nest under the lily patch in the new raised beds. Seems they really like those new beds we built a few years ago. Our Japanese Lilac tree is right close to that area and something is eating the leaves on it. I wonder if the ants are doing it?

Hi Marzy, welcome to the group! *S*
    Sorry to hear that u also have lost lots of plants this past winter. Here we didn't have enough snow cover. What kind of gardening do u do? Do u have a favorite plant? I like hostas and lilies.
    I have also noticed a lot of bugs this year, especially black flies and bees of course.

Well that's all for now,, take care

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

Hi all - didn't realize that i hadn't posted to this thread yet. And here June is almost over! LOL Hard to believe.

The weather has been so up and down. A month ago we were praying for rain, and then we got it with a vengeance, so now we're wishing it would quit. Everything is waterlogged and i think some of my veg. seeds must have rotted in the ground. I can't get into the garden to have a good look yet though because it's too soft. The tomatoes are in a raised bed and they're looking fine.

As usual June is a really busy month and hard to get everything done. I have a lot of containers planted and most of my new perennials, but i have one area that i just started last fall and it isn't finished yet so the plants to go there aren't planted yet (of course!).

I lost some things this winter too. A bunch of my roses took a bit of a kicking. Martin Frobisher had some kind of fungus on a lot of his branches. JP Connell died right back to the ground. Miss Sunrise is gone, but she left a baby sucker behind. Henry Kelsey is gone too, but when i finally dug him out, i found some shoots on one of his roots. Figures! Funny, though - the two zone 4 White Kosters came through the winter fine and are loaded with buds now!

I lost a couple of clematis too - i thought Jackmanii was one of the tough ones, but apparently not. Cardinal Rouge is no more either. In Jackmanii's place, i planted C. texenis 'Duchess of Albany', and in the Cardinal's place is 'Pamela Jackman'. Where Henry was, i planted two clematis, 'Nelly Moser' and 'Durandi', as well as a rose, 'Delicata'.

Here is one reason for me being a bit behind in my gardening. :) Meet Darius Michaela:
    {{gwi:691335}} Photobucket">

And here's the little grandguy with Darius:
    {{gwi:691341}}
    My son is not his real dad (the little grandguy's) but they still care about each other, and my son told him that Darius will be like a little sister to him. :)

Many evenings i've wasted good gardening time by going over and holding the baby! LOL Isn't she a sweetheart? She was born on June 6th and weighed 11 lbs 6 oz. My son says she's a keeper!

Anyway, i need to get to bed. We might be going to the lake tomorrow and i need to get up early enough to water some containers before we go.

Happy gardening!
    Marcia

• lappe
    16 years ago

Congratulations Marcia, she is beautiful and a real good size.
    I really want to have a grandchild, I watch everyone who has one, and they really seem to enjoy them. My guys don't seem to be in any hurry to have one, but I keep hinting a lot lol

Enjoy
    Janet

• Debbie_N_Ontario
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi everyone,
    The weather here has been up and down, it's crazy! Yesterday I was wearing my light winter coat in the garden today I was out there in the warm rain. I was going to weed, no bugs when it rains and the weeds come out easier, but then the lightening and thunder started.

I am having trouble gardening this year. I can see better now but my arthritis is in my hips, back, legs, everywhere that is hurts to bend over. Going to see the doctor and tell him that I can only stand for a few minutes before it feels like my hip and legs are going to collapse. Someone told me it sounds like my sciatic nerve,,, all i know is it's really ticking me off cause I want to be in the garden!
    Anyways, I almost finished weeding one little bed, and putting mulch down and I will have to finish it another day. It does look much nicier now that the dandelions are mostly gone... I can actually see the hostas. LOL

Son and grand daughter came over the other day and dug up some lilies from the back and moved them into the front gardens for me. I hardly ever go to the backyard and am actually hoping to saw up those timber beds and put gravel in the backyard and just put some big pots with annuals in them. That way I won't have so much weeding to do and I can just spray roundup on any that pop up thru the gravel.

Rosie was asking me what the names of the different plants were and she wanted to help nannie carry the 5 gallon weed bucket, even though it is almost as big as she is. *L* Ever cute! I had son pull out Winnipeg parks rose and we planted some lilies from the backyard there. He didn't have time to pull out Morden Centennial but when he does I think I'll plant a hosta. My JP OConnell always seems to die right back to the ground even though it's planted in a very protected area.

Marcia, I'm so sorry u lost so many roses and clematis too! Did u lose that pretty yellow rose I think it was a Morden something or other....can't remember the name of it.

Marcia, how adorable is that baby and the grandguy too! Is Darius your son's daughter? And u didn't waste gardening time! How wonderful a new baby!! *S* Is that a pic of you holding the baby? Congratulations!!

Here a pic of Cherry Berry

{{!gwi}}

Francis Williams, mom gave me this one so it is special. *S*

{{!gwi}}

Striptease

{{!gwi}}

I've got to go,,, have people coming to look at the roof tomorrow *sigh*
    Take care

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review