Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
salvaging a brown brandon cedar

Posted by skdutchgirl 2b (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 6, 07 at 22:23

Hi. I just bought a new house last year, and transplanted a brandon almost 6 feet tall. I perhaps damaged the roots, didn't water enough in the fall, and let it get dessicated in the long transition from winter to spring... All of the tree other than the bottom foot has browned tight to the tips. At the bottom it's still green and soft. Is there hope of salvaging this tree so that it eventually is attractive again? If so, should I cut the brown parts all off? Or is it best to give it a quick death? Thanks for your input; this is my first posting and I'm excited to learn from the great collective wisdom out there.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: salvaging a brown brandon cedar

When you say "transplanting" I am not sure if you mean taking an existing tree that was growing in your yard and moving it, or buying one from the nursery and just plopping it out of the pot and into the ground.

Regardless, there is severe winter damage on your conifer. If there truly isn't any new growth on the top 5 feet of the plant, that part is likely dead. Cedars sort of work that way. If they come through winter green and healthy, great. If the branches have brown foliage mixed with green, the plant will likely repair itself. If totally brown it's not as likely. I'd be tempted to wait a few more weeks to see if new growth comes, but if the branch ends are dry and crumbling it's not likely. But, seeing as time is of the essence (stores are running out of nursery stock) it's really up to you.

If the top five feet of the plant is dead it could regrow from the live part near the base (the first foot), but may take quite a bit of time to make up the height again. They grow approximately a foot tall per year.

Plus, there's no guarantee that the plant will be the same nice shape it once was.

Glen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here