Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overplanting spring bulbs

Posted by LolaNH 5 NH (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 9, 11 at 23:40

Hello,

This is my first post to this site, but I have been reading and enjoying for awhile now. I am a beginner gardener and becoming more and more obsessed :-) My question is about what suggestions people have for plants that can be planted over or among my spring bulbs to dress up the appearance of the dying foliage. The bed is full sun, well draining. It has bulbs of pink tulips and purple irises which are beautiful but look too spaced out and now have no flowers. I also don't have a lot of money to spend. Ideally, I was looking for a plant blooming around this time of year with yellow flowers, nicely spreading, maybe 8-16" tall. I am looking forward to hearing your suggestions and thanks for reading this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overplanting spring bulbs

Welcome to the forum.

I have yellow bearded iris which is budding right now planted among some tulips. The only problem is iris clumps get really big so you have to divide them every 3-4 years. But they bloom right about the time tulips fade.
If you don't mind using pansies they come in all colours, so you shouldn't have a problem finding yellow ones. And they self-seed so you'll get volunteers.

o

Do you know if pansies bloom over a long period or short? Will they continue for most of the summer? Thank you so much for your input!

o

From my experience, pansies bloom until about August, then their life cycle as biennials winds down - their seeds will have self-sown everywhere and you'll have to wait til next Spring to see new vibrant plants.

Annuals in front of, or in among your spring bulbs can also hide their dying foliage. I plant nasturtiums every year in the front of one of my bulb beds. They bloom so profusely by the end of summer, they're quite spectacular.

(Sorry in my earlier reply I suggested irisis but hadn't noticed you've already got them and they were already fading - I'm in a colder zone so things bloom later here)

o

I've also overplanted with pansies, but for me they last until after the first frost. I think the nasturtiums is a great idea, but I would still need something for inbetween the bulbs and the nasturtium blooms (LOL, I love pansies, but I think I have enough so I'm looking for another plant to use in addition to)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here