Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jasmine or Gardenias

Posted by arcoiris69 Massachussetts (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 24, 09 at 23:47

Hello, I would love to be able to take a jasmine or gardenia plant to a friend of mine that lives in the Mass area but I am unsure if either one of those would survive the cold winters..
Does anyone know if they would or not or have attempted trying either of these?
And if they don't grow well there, are there any suggestions of plants that are similar to these that give out a wonderful fragrance like these two plants??? TYVM.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jasmine or Gardenias

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (near (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 27, 09 at 21:24

Plant them in a large pot, but bring them indoors for the winter. Acclimatize them in the spring. A vicious circle, but it pays off. They will do well in the garden in the summer, but will not survive the frost, so you must bring them indoors.

I do the same thing with my brugmansia bushes / trees. Extremely fragrant, but very fussy plants. Nevertheless, I have quite a few different varieties.

If we want the luxury of these magnificent plants, then we have to put a lot more effort into their maintenance than most plants would require. ... a price we have to pay.

o

No, neither gardenias nor jasmine would likely survive in Mass, although possibly some of the most hardy kinds might make it in sheltered microclimates on Cape Cod, or on the islands, where the Atlantic moderates the cold in winter.

I do have a suggestion for you, though, for an unusual blooming shrub with wonderful foliage and fragrance, and that is a buttonbush. It's actually a native plant, likes wetlands and does ok in semi-shade, and the flowers are round balls that smell heavenly, spicy and similar to cloves. Try a google search for it, and you should be able to find information and sources. Mine is about to bloom, and I always look forward to it. Bloom time is for about 2 to 4 weeks in mid-summer.

o

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (near (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 3, 09 at 22:46

Actually, I just bought a Jasmine plant yesterday. I was told to do exactly as I had suggested above.

Now I have to check out this buttonbush plant. Thanks for the tip, denninmi.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here