Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spiderwort problems

Posted by globalone N.E. Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 9, 10 at 1:33

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what is wrong with my spiderwort plant. Every year it starts off healthy, with lots of pretty blue flowers, but by July the plant is lying on the ground looking sickly. I've tried giving it more water, less water, staking it, feeding it, etc, but usally end up cutting it back to the ground as it looks so ugly. My mom had it in her garden without these issues. It is in sun but not full, all day. Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spiderwort problems

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 10, 10 at 17:01

I have mine planted in full sun and sometimes the sun can be quite intense. Years when it has been cooler, it has done better. Nevertheless, I'm going to move mine to the side of the bed where it will get only a few hours sun instead of full sun all day. Marg

o

From what I've observed over the years, it's pretty much just what they do -- after they flower, they get floppy, the tops yellow, they try to grow seed pods. I always just cut them off to the ground, and new stalks grow and often will flower if it's a moist summer. I've got all colors of them, light and dark blue, white, magenta purple, pinkish purple.

o

I have this problem and I thought it was because I had it growing in the sun. My mom and grandma also grew it with no problems and theirs was always in the shade, always luch green even after flowering. I moved mine to the shade and it still does the same thing. I wonder if the plant I have is a cultivar that is just not as heat tolerate as my mom's (which came from my grandma's). Mine came from a nursery. Mine is medium purple and looks like my mom's but they could be very different.

o

If you can find the native blue spiderwort, tradescantia ohiensis, I find that it is very upright and rarely flops. I grow mine in part shade and the plants remain good looking for a long time, and keep blooming too.

o

unfortunately, i think that's what spiderworts do! i love them - and hate them for that reason. i just cut mine back when they get ugly and they regrow in a short period of time. here's a good link - http://www.ehow.com/how_6979336_cut-back-concord-grape-spiderwort.html

o

It's what spiderwort does. When it begins to look too tatty for the gardens, take a pair of shears and cut it back severely, within a few inches of the ground.
The plant will put on new growth and will be a blooming machine again by the autumn.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here