Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbie_n_ontario

Need A Garden Buddy in Northern Ontario... July

Debbie_N_Ontario
17 years ago

Happy Canada Day Everyone!!

Hope u all have a great day!!

I don't have anything planned for today, I'll probably just putter around in the yard.

I do have about 5 hostas that need to be moved,,, somewhere. I don't have a clue where I can move them too. One hosta is so big now it is eating 3 of the other hostas. *L* I know I'm NOT moving the big one as that will weigh a ton!

I will really have to push the fertilizer on my annuals as they aren't growing like they normally do. It has been on the cool side at night. At midnight it was only 8C and the temp usually keeps dropping until 5 a.m!

I had to buy a 80ft cord to plug the front pond into. The other day when I went to unplug it from the cord in the backyard.. well it sort of melted and smoked a bit. *S* OOps

Gale, how is your garden and ponds doing? Did u have a pond tour this year?

Marcia, aren't u down for a garden tour this year?

Here are some of my hostas... this is Frances Williams..

{{!gwi}}

This is Abba Dabba Do, the hosta that is eating the other 3 hostas.

{{!gwi}}

It is at least 3 ft across. LOL

The big one in this pic is Sagae and the smaller one in front of it is Patriot.

{{!gwi}}

Take care everyone and Happy July!

Debbie :-)

Comments (3)

• Debbie_N_Ontario
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Gee, where is everyone? You must all be out playing in your gardens!
    Have u all been getting a lot of thunderstorms this month? We have been getting a lot of them in the past few weeks. The ground is saturated.

Today was nice and I did go out and trim the hedges in the back and side yard. I didn't realize they had grown so much until I had a hard time cutting the top of the hedge. *L* I will have to get son to finish that as he is 6'6" tall.

My lilies are also blooming like crazy and so are the weeds. *S*

I have 3 buds on my water lily too so that is nice seeing as I didn't fertilize it this year.

Hope u all start posting and telling me how your gardens are doing. I had 3 ripe cherry tomatoes today and the zucchinis are getting flowers on them.

Here's some of my lilies

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Take care

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

Hi Debbie -

So sorry i haven't been posting. I was really busy getting ready for the tour, and my mother was here for a week and a half (she went home today) helping me with stuff so that everything would look good. It did! There were about 15 people who came for the tour and everyone seemed to like the gardens. I got a lot of comments on my Orienpet lilies.

Now it's like letdown time. I don't have to go, go, go and sort of feel at a loss as to what to do with myself! Plus, it has gotten hot again so i don't want to go out in the afternoon. Oh well, i have a good book to read and things that need to get done inside, so i shouldn't get bored. LOL

We've had very little rain since June and it's awfully dry around here. We did have some the past couple of days, enough to wet things down a bit, but not enough for the forest fire situation. We have a big one 20 kms southwest of here - doesn't pose a threat to us because of where it is, but it does get smokey once in awhile. So, we've had to water the gardens a lot, and the containers are in constant need of watering. Fortunately i have a rain barrel now, and i've only had to fill it from the pond twice.

Lots of things are blooming and the gardens look really nice. Love your lilies, Debbie! Mine are doing well too, most of them. I've also had a few cherry tomatoes, and have had zucchini for a couple of weeks now. We canned beets yesterday and could be doing swiss chard, but it's too hot. We've also eaten broccoli, cabbage and kohlrabi, and green beans are starting. Oh, and there are a few little cucumbers on and i've even made a jar of pickles - one! LOL

This is about it for now - hopefully we'll get a couple more posts before the month is done!

Marcia

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Tour day

• Debbie_N_Ontario
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Marcia,

I was wondering when u were going to have your garden tour. Sounds like it went well and I'm glad your mom could be there to help u out some. *S*

I looked at your garden pics and your gardens look wonderful! I didn't know u had a pond, either that I had forgotten. When did u get the pond?

Sounds like your veggie garden is doing very well this year and u have made pickles already? wow!

I'll try to send u some of the rain we have been getting. It has been a very wet summer, and cool, though it has warmed up again. i had seen on tv where u were getting forest fires and I think Gale has some aorund her place to.

Speaking of Gale have u talked to her lately? I wonder how she is doing and how her ponds are doing. I had 3 water lilies in bud but we got cold weather and they never opened up and I don't see them anymore.

I have started an August thread,,,,,take care.

Sponsored