Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
black-eyed susans

Posted by sweetleelee 4 WI (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 6, 04 at 7:56

Hi --
We have had an usually cold summer here. I started my black-eyed susans from seed and placed them outside when they were three inches tall, the first week in June. It has been unseasonably chilly and wet, even for us. They have grown only about an additional inch and a half. Since they seed themselves, if they do not mature to flower this year, does that mean that they won't come up next year? If I start them from seed again, should I start them a lot earlier and set them out when they are taller? I admit I didn't do a lot of investigating; I just went by the seed packet instructions. Thanks for any help. Lee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: black-eyed susans

• Posted by Jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 6, 04 at 8:54

We'll get some warm weather soon. I understand your concerns as I have some started as well and they have not grown much. I would leave them be, and see what happens. You could also start more now, and more by winter sowing to be transplanted in the spring. Check out the winter sowing forum. They are self seeders so trust in mother nature. We sometimes have to try to fool her though.

o

Are they the perrenial or annual variety?

-Audric

o

Ordinary, standard black-eyed susans are usually perennials and just keep getting bigger and bigger every year. I didn't know there were annual ones.

o

Wow! Lee, I really admire your determination to be a gardener under what sound like pretty difficult conditions. You call it guerilla gardening, we call it "extreme gardening", you know, like extreme sports or whatever. We are in Ottawa, Canada. July 17 - it was 28 degrees - sorry, that's Celsius, so high 80s Farenheit to you. I hope your Black Eyed Susans are doing better now. Mine are lovely and some are those great big ones that have maroon in the centre. Do you grow Achillea, Alchemilla (aka Ladies' Mantle) Astilbe, Campanulas, Centaureas, Columbine, Coneflower, Coralbells, Daylilies, Dicentra (aka Bleeding Heart) Geranium (the perennial plant, not the houseplant) Hostas, Jacob's ladder, Lily of the vally, Lychnis (or rose campion) Monarda, Nepeta or catmint, Peonies, Phlox, Sage (the perennial ones), Sedums, Valerian, Verbascum, Veronica, Violets, Yucca? All of these are very, very cold tolerant.

Best of luck to you!

o

• Posted by Ptuny zone 3mb (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 18, 04 at 0:49

I have a perinnial garden. Absolutely everything in it, I've started from seed.
I have found that with perinnials, the first year you may get some blooms, but next year you will be amazed at the show!
Mark each new plant with a small stake, so you will know next year that you have something growing that is not a weed! (I learnt that the hard way!)
Happy gardening, I live in the Parklands of Manitoba, and whatever grows in my garden has to be tough!
~~P'tuny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here