Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yardgroupie

Craving gooseneck loosestrife

yardgroupie
15 years ago

I've just come home from visiting the Montreal Botanical Gardens, and I'm CRAVING the gooseneck loosestrife "river" in the Chinese Garden. I know that it is invasive, though not the same as the dreaded purple loosestrife.

We have a french drain around our house to alleviate dampness in the basement. A spring drains into it, runs through a pipe, under our asphalt drive, and empties down a few rocks into a small pool in our front yard. In the spring, a true stream empties from the pool , runs along the edge of our lawn, and peters out at the paved road (lots and lots of sand under our property). In summer, water is a trickle. I've thought about this, and I think I could plant gooseneck here responsibly. Unless it can teleport itself back through the drainpipe, it can't get into the top of our property. Our yard is mowed regularly, and the loosestrife won't spread that way.

Can I PLEASE?? At the moment I have ligularia, lady's mantle and siberian iris. They're okay, but a little boring. Please let me know.

Yardgirl

Comments (3)

Sponsored