Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zendudette

wasp sting remedies-What's yours?

clairabelle
16 years ago

Well, it's that time of the year again... Wasp season.

DH got a couple of nasty stings on one arm last week while trimming our cedar hedge (the nest was on the neighbour's shed). It resulted in a trip to the hospital, with a very swollen hand and forearm.

I once read that putting a lit cigarette close to the stung area will alleviate venom. A co-worker also mentioned tiger balm for immediate relief.

What are YOUR wasp sting remedies?

Comments (10)

• luckygal
    16 years ago

The best thing I've found is pure lavender essential oil applied full strength, one or two drops immediately, then repeat several times over the next hour. I've used this for horsefly bites with very good results. No swelling or itching as is usual with those.

The danger with wasp/bee stings is a severe systemic allergy reaction.

• greylady_gardener
    16 years ago

I haven't tried this, but a neighbour used to take a fresh teabag and wet it with very hot water (maybe boiled water in a small cup in the microwave), allow it to cool enough to put on skin without being uncomfortable and hold it there until it feels better.....not sure how long, but I remember going to her place and seeing her daughter holding a teabag on her lip when she got stung.

• bern_2007
    16 years ago

I use mouthwash on mosquito bites, don't know if it would work on wasp or bee stings.

• digit
    16 years ago

Clairabelle, I imagine that your husband got a dose of Benadryl antihistamine at the hospital. Over-the-counter antihistamines are recommended by WebMD, The Children's Hospital in Denver, and countless other internet sites. Here's what the Children's Hospital at the University of Michigan has to say about what to do for children with a severe allergic reaction (trouble breathing or passing out):

1. Call 911 IMMEDIATELY.
    2. Give epinephrine (requires prescription)
    3. Give an antihistamine - If you have Benadryl at home, give it.
    4. Treat stings - If a bee stinger is left in the skin, remove it. Do this by scraping the stinger off with a knife blade or credit card rather than by squeezing it.

Many sites recommend acetaminophen or ibuprofen. The only time I take aspirin (acetyl salicylic acid) is when stung so I'd go with the anti-inflammatory ibuprofen to help reduce the swelling before just trying to kill the pain with acetaminophen. Aspercreme has trolamine salicylate as a topical analgesic. Many liniments contain methyl salicylate including BenGay, Icy Hot, Mentholatum Deep Heat. There are a number of different Tiger Balm products. Some do not contain any salicylate analgesics.

A bag of frozen vegetables will help with the immediate pain and swelling. Solarcaine sunburn spray does a good job with stopping the pain and I can find 2 eight year-olds to testify to that.

I have a certain amount of allergic reaction to bee stings. My wife claims that 2 stings will kill me but I've never been stung by more than 1 bee at a time. As a child, my mother would use the baking soda paste . . . absolutely zero help. Lucky I didn't die before antihistamines came into common use.

Steve

• alyne
    16 years ago

If you have plantain in your yard (broad, roundish flat leaf) chew some up in your mouth then spit the clump out onto your sting. Hold it there for awhile. The sting will go away. I have done this many times and it works. It is a remedy my mom taught me. Perfect for when you are out in the yard.

• stungbywasp
    16 years ago

i have just been stung twice in the mouth by a wasp, i am feeling a little dizzy and my mouth is swelling. What should i do?

• shapiro
    16 years ago

Dear Stungbywasp - I sincerely hope that you went directly to a hospital emergency! I have read that if you get a sting (bee or other) and your lips tingle, it is a sign that you are DEVELOPING allergies, that the next sting may be more serious. Time to be tested for allergies.

• larrybrownthumb
    16 years ago

Damp chewing tobacco or damp cigar (UNLIT!)held directly on the sting for a couple of minutes has worked for me for over 60 years.

• stripedone
    16 years ago

Use vinegar. Put it on a cotton pad or facecloth and hold in place for about 1/2 hour.

• SugarPop
    12 years ago

Please people,do not take wasp stings for granted, and especially if you are allergic to them. Administer the epi pen and get to a hospital.Don't mess with home remedies, it could mean your life.In our household we have two people that are allergic, and it only takes 2 to 3 minutes after being stung, before you can not breathe, and go into schock,by then it's to late, you cannot help yourself.

Sponsored