Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shrub Recommendations/Photos for Zone 2-3

Posted by Leandra7 z3a in GP, AB (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 9:48

Having recently moved to an acreage in Grande Prairie (Zone 2b-3a) from BC (Zone 7a-8b), I am wondering if you have any recommendations for hardy shrubs you wouldn't mind sharing (photos would be a bonus). I have several areas I would like to plant with shrubs and trees; some exposed, some foundational around the house.
I have inherited several perennial gardens (chok-a-block with weeds which I have largely gotten rid of) but I would like to have a more easy maintenance approach with shrubs, and probably keep just one perennial garden bed in front of the house. I have mostly been maintaining the present landscaping for the past year that I have been here, reading Lois Hole's books, reading over many entries here, and observing and talking to gardeners around here. I love gardening and am enthusiastic to revamp this place but want to go at it with some foresight.
Appreciate any thoughts you'd have to share.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shrub Recommendations/Photos for Zone 2-3

You might want to post this in the far north forum.
WOW..that's a HUGE downhill jump from zone 8 but day's are long and sunny in Alberta, hope you'll like it.

For a start,.. Lilac, Dogwood & Mockorange.

o

Redosier dogwood
Willows -- flame, and arctic blue in particular.
High bush and low bush cranberry
Canada buffaloberry
Sea buckthorn
Wolf willow
Native chokecherry
Native pincherry
Green Alder
Lilacs -- vulgaris and villosa cultivars. S. paliban and S. reticulata may not be hardy there.
Ussurian Pear
Hawthorn
Blueberries
Raspberries -- souris and double delight. Mulch in winter.
Snowberry
Mountain ash. (prune as a shrub)
Red elderberry
Wild rose
Rugosa roses.
Gooseberry
Black current.
Mugo pine.

o

Thank you SO MUCH for the advice. Now, to put it into practice!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here