Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pests

Posted by orleansgardener Ontario (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 2, 06 at 12:56

I have a problem with pest(s) in my garden but I am not sure what to do since I have seen no actual insects on these plants. I have posted some pictures at:

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/amiraultbrian/album?.dir=/6a9cre2&.src=ph&.tok=phJEqHFBTTrYfIVE

1) Hostas Is this slug damage or something else? I have looked and seen no slugs in my garden. I put out some strips of carpet for them to "hide" under during the day but there are none there after a week. As you can see, I did put copper around one of the hostas (some of the leave damage had already been done so the copper may be effective). Another of my hostas is also showing similar damage as are a few of my echinacea (though not many of them and I have a lot. It is the young ones that are being damaged).

2) I am not sure what this plant is called it grows 12-18" tall, has a pinkish purple flower (long spike). It has been cut off 4 to 6" above the ground and the tops left on the ground. We do have rabbits around (we back on a ravine) could they be the culpert? I think the first of the marigold shots is of the same type of damage. I did not think much of anything bothered marigolds which is why I bought them.

3) Marigolds I think these may have 2 attackers one that cuts them off, another that seems to really like to eat the leaves.

Any help that can be offered would be appreciated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pests

• Posted by jak1 4 Ontario Can (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 4, 06 at 20:27

I live in the town of Perth, not far from you. I have a lot of earwigs this summer, so that might be what is damaging the hostas. Although I would think you might have seen them by now....In terms of the tall plant being cut off, it looks like the spikes have been cleanly bitten off, which might be due to deer. The deer bit off my hosta blooms last night - but left hoof prints in the garden so I am sure that is what happened.

The leaves of the marigolds look like they have been attacked by sonme kind of caterpillar. Look for small green worms. Ithink those little devils will eat anything.

I have had rabbits chewing off my geraniums and I thought nothing would eat those either. They have left the chewed off leaves in the garden.

You can use some kind of earwig bait to get rid of them, or put out a sucer of beer to see what you catch - slugs or earwigs.

The little green worms can be handpicked (gross, I know) or perhaps discouraged with a soap and water spray.

Deer and rabbits - well, if you come up with something, let me know. I have not had much success with the Irish Spring soap thing, or with Critter Ridder.

o
RE: pests

I live up in Northern Ontario and we have been plagued by earwigs. My hostas have also been damaged by these "pests" and my marigolds eaten to pieces - literally. The earwigs strip the marigolds of their leaves. I also found them inside the roses. I've been using earwig pellets to try and maintain control but I'm not sure it's working. It certainly doesn't get rid of them. If anybody has ideas on how to get rid of them, please let us all know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here