Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diane_v_44

truffles grown in Canada

diane_v_44
12 years ago

My son was recently in Italy and brought me back some truffle oil

AM so much enjoying to use this lovely gift

I wondered if anyone grows truffles in Canada. I believe they are harvested in September or October.

Comments (15)

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

Many years ago I wanted to grow truffels.. have studied it a bit.
    I gave up when learning about their needs and environment.
    Basically, my zone 3 is not ideal.

• diane_v_44
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Konrad

I see that there is a farm in B.C. well a farm of sorts, growing them and doing quite well
    My son was in Italy recently and they brought me back, at my request, a bottle of truffle oil
    I was reading the label and it is mostly olive oil with truffle flavouring.
    Apparently , in further reading, that is often what is sold as "truffle oil"
    They are, truffles that is, ever so marvellous to tast. Wish more people here experienced the taste.

Interesting that you studied the idea when you live in zone 3.
    the growing of them is quite interesting, isn't it.

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

Yes it is.
    I have grown Shitake & Qyster mushrooms, ..allot easier, with
    almost instant results. With truffle it can take many years until
    the trees...mostly oak I think is large enough, first the seedlings
    are inoculated by the truffle spores...I was thinking doing this
    myself. I have grown mushroom spores myself.
    Too bad that you got olive oil..pretty misleading.

• diane_v_44
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Konrad
    have you had frost already

not here in Barrie Ontario
    but tonight darn cold enough
    dahlias and brugmansi still blooming
    Some times I think they like cold weather
    did not buy myself any truffles this fall Thought about it several times but not done so

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

We had heavy frost late this year...beginning of November, when I came back from holiday end of October, I was in shock, to see that the flower baskets were still looking good, this was the first time ever this late,.. as I can remember.

• diane_v_44
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Konrad

Just noticed your posting on that bit about truffles
    Seems you and I are only people looking at truffles
    Had a bit of holiday, sounds good

I came down to Florida, late November where I have a home the past 12 years

Gorgeous December Have some neat plants growing and came through the six months of little care quite well

Hope you and ours enjoying the holiday season I know I am and who wouldn't be down in the warm sunny south

• rockandroller
    12 years ago

I read about truffles forever in "Le Repertoire de la Cuisine" (a cherished book since childhood). But finally got to taste them only in my late 40s, at a resort in the Seychelles. Tiny slices of the root in risotto - unique taste!

I don't think its practical to make pure "truffle oil", AFAIK olive oil flavored with artificial truffle flavoring has always been the standard 'truffle oil' product. When I was living in Moscow it was readily available next to the black caviar at the (high-end) grocery, along with very small jars of actual whole truffle rhizohmes (small ones) in oil. Crazy expensive, of course!

• diane_v_44
    Original Author
    12 years ago

rock and roller

thanks for that posting
    Truffles still is a subject on my mind

I appreciate hearing the information you gave us
    Was interesting about the truffle oil I was so disappointed not to have the real thing, but maybe, there is no "real thing" Someone in British Columbia I came across has a truffle farming operation on a small scale
    How ever did you like living in Moscow. Wise you to have travelled and even more so lived, in different countries.

• diggerb2
    12 years ago

truffle oil is the oil inwhich truffles have been steeped or stored. truffles do not creat their own 'oil'

• diane_v_44
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks diggerb2 for a little more information

I must read more
    Truffles , have you ever cooked with them.
    I have not done so but have tasted truffle in a restaurant meal Forget now, what it was but this as well is so enjoyble.

• karena8
    8 years ago

Had real truffle only once in a lovely wild mushroom and truffle soup. At $7 per bowl it was a really nice luxury. I have used and like truffle oil, and my first was brought to me from Belgium by a visiting friend. I have grown mushrooms in the past but am renting now. Hope to get another house in a year or two and will buy something with some land. Then i will try truffles inside geodesic dome solar greenhouses. They work in the Mantanuska Valley of alaska so will work in Ottawa. Will grow more mushrooms in

• karena8
    8 years ago

A basement too. We can gather morels locally, and i love those fresh, so aromatic! would like to try Straw Mushrooms, Shitakes and Criminis too. Not sure if I could. cultivate Woodear or the white variety the looks the same, but they are yummy too. I really miss the large variety of cheap mushrooms i enjoyed while teaching in China.

• karena8
    8 years ago

BTW truffle juice is available at more than the cost of oil and less than the whole fresh truffles. It is the waste from truffles, but is very good and you can make a lot from it, including truffle oil.

• diane_v_44
    Original Author
    8 years ago

smivies I see you are in Ontario same as me who live in Barrie. Somewhere \I saw more of your posts I have not got using this houzz. Going to look up Garry \Oak B.C. unfortunately \i will not be moving there thought \ would love it but getting to old for a big move.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES