Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Foxglove seeds

Posted by kc14 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 4, 09 at 13:58

I had a tall pink foxglove blooming very nicely but todays rain broke it down. My husband cut it off and I am wondering if there is any way to save seeds from the flowers. The top of the stalk if full of blooms, the lower part is missing the flowers but looks like seeds may be in their spot. Can they be dried or planted as is or will neither work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Foxglove seeds

The only way to know if the seed has matured enough to germinate is to plant some. I would collect as much as is there and spread them on good soil and try. I wouldn't try them outside because they would have a better chance indoors where you can control the moisture etc. Just sprinkle them on top of moist soil and give them a spritz with a spray bottle occasionally to keep the seed moist. You can put a humidity hood on but lift it slightly so there is air circulation.

o
whoops

Forgot to say don't cover the seed--it needs light to germinate

o

Just wanted to say that my foxgloves all reseed. If any of the seed pods had broken and dispersed the seeds, the seeds would probably germinate next year. You will have to look for the seedlings in the spring. If you aren't sure what the seedlings would look like, you can see them at this site: www.theseedsite.co.uk Marg

o

Hi,
If you cut the flower stem right off then you should get a 2nd bloom. I would guess that the seeds were not ripe yet so you are better off waiting for the next bloom. If you lay a light colored sheet beside the plant once the bloom is finished then you will get the seeds falling on it and you will be able to see them. I have had 4 sets of blooms come up by dead heading, they get smaller each time. Left alone the will throw seeds everywhere and the birds love them

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here