Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jillycatt

No blossoms on tomato plant

jillcatt
10 years ago

I bought a tomato plant around 6 weeks ago at Aldi (not the most reliable plant source, I know) and planted it in my garden where it gets about 6 hours of sunlight daily. Now it's over 3 feet high with luxuriant foliage but not a blossom in sight. The weird thing is that I have not fertilized it at all! Not knowing what was in the soil it was potted in, I decided to wait a while and see how it did without fertilizer. Any ideas on what could be causing the absence of blossoms?

Comments (7)

• dog_wood_2010
    10 years ago

My first thought is too much nitrogen in the soil. This usually produces lush foliage with little to no blossoms. The fix: add a fertilizer with more potassium and phosphorous. I'm using Tomato Tone by Espoma and my plants are loaded with tomatoes. Tomato-tone is a premium plant food formulated specifically for growing plump and juicy tomatoes. As your plants mature, it should work itself out.

• xaroline
    10 years ago

Sometimes when weather is very hot------blossoms do not appear until later.

• jillcatt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everybody for your answers. I finally gave up and threw it out. Not even a hint of a blossom and here it's late July already. Put the resulting space to better use by planting lettuce. Does anybody think that it could have been a sterile tomato plant--is there such a thing?

• MrsLuckett
    10 years ago

Next time get blossom booster! And fertilize it :)

• jillcatt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What is blossom booster? And, if excess fertilizer can CAUSE this problem (luxuriant foliage but no blossoms), why do you say I should have fertilized it?

• dog_wood_2010
    10 years ago

This is what happens when you buy from (not the most reliable plant source, I know).

Somebody at the store probably gave it the wrong type of fertilizer.

The best thing to do is start your own tomatoes from seeds. That way you can control every aspect.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

jillcatt,

You did the right thing not adding anything. Best not to unless you know what you need. I like using the cheap test kits (You never said what type of potting mix you used. Was it a potting soil designed for containers or bedding soil?

As xaroline brought up, what was the weather like?

When you say the plant got about 6 hours of sunlight could it have been less?

Another question would be tied in with the weather on how much you were watering?

There are several companies marketing products as "bloom booster" 's. Most often they have a lower nitrogen level compared to phosphorus and sometimes nitrogen equal to or under potassium levels. Essentially it is just another fertilizer. The old school of thought was that a higher level of phosphorus led to root and bloom production.

Yes, you can have sterile plants, albeit rare, but they should still flower, just produce no fruit.

FWIW, one of my large beefsteak plants just flowered last week and it was a couple weeks ahead of yours. It has set fruit already so I am hopeful.

Good luck

SCG

Sponsored