HELP! My beans are being devoured!

Posted by Squeekie Z-5 Qubec, Canada (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 2, 04 at 15:10

Hi everyone,
I planted two long rows of green and yellow beans about twelve days
ago and it seems that as soon as a shoot comes up, a nasty and
voracious bug is there waiting to eat it up! I was told that they
were most likely some kind of grey worms. Does anyone have a good
trick to keep those guys away from my food?

Thanks a million!

Martine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP! My beans are being devoured!

I have had the same problem with my beans...both long french beans, bush beans, and Scarlet runners...First I dusted the leaves with ashes...still they became lacy..Now I have sprayed diluted insectisidle soap (my spellig is off)..just spray under the leaves and over the leaves, and again after it rains. I don't know what else to use as I have an organic garden. My basil, and peppers both hot and red are also being eaten..could be earwigs, or any number of critters..good luck..martha/zucchini

o

I would suggest locating diatomaceous earth as a possible treatment for the caterpillars. It is silicon (sand) made up of ancient diatoms (water dwelling microscopic organisms).

This material gets into the openings and soft body parts of insect pests and dries them out.

You can find this material in many garden stores. Just look at the label of some of the organic insect dusts.

o

• Posted by sammyqc NE Quebec/zn 4 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 17, 04 at 19:59

A really good trick I read somewhere (maybe even here) is to plant large cans around each plant. Big apple juice cans worked for me. Plant, then shove the can down about half way arond the plant. I also use tons of eggshells all around too. It also helped when we were still getting frost warnings, none of my plants bit the dust. So far, mine are doing great, keeps the slugs away. If they're still getting eaten up, you could try sticky tape arond the cans to catch the invaders. I guess you would have to change the tape every once in a while (gross!!!), but it works on the crawly guys. Now for the flying ones.....

o

BT is for worms, catapillers. I can't spell what it stands for but all nurserys or stores know what you are talking about when you just say BT. Jeanette

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here