Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
virginia_w

Gardens Near Winnepeg

virginia_w
19 years ago

We are planning to go up to the Winnepeg area in August. We'll be driving from Wisconsin, south of Duluth, Minnesota. Does anyone know of any public gardens, or great nurseries we should see on the way?

Comments (10)

• Ptuny
    19 years ago

While in Winnipeg, you may want to check out the gardens at the Assiniboine Park!
    They have a wonderful conservatory, a typical English country garden, and as well the Leo Moll sculpture garden.
    Your best bet is to ask @ the hotel you are staying at!
    Most hotels have a magazine called "Where In Winnipeg" that is an excellent tourist guide to the immediate area. As well in the advertising there are caragories such as the nurserys you may want to visit!
    ~~P'tuny

• hilaryjackson
    19 years ago

Pineridge Hollow is a restaurant/gift shop/garden and is just north of Winnipeg near Bird's Hill park -totally worth the drive (about 1/2 hr). Also St. Norbert Monastery on the outskirts of Winnipeg has some lovely grounds. The only caution is bring bug spray as the mosquitoes are hungry in Winnipeg.

• PrairieClover
    19 years ago

Kildonan Park is also lovely now (North Main street). There's also a great community garden you can check out called the Mellenium Garden (North Henderson Hwy near Chief Peguis Bridge). Nurseries to check out are Shelmerdines on Roblin Blvd. and Schreimers on Molson they are at opposite ends of the city but either one is great. Your hotel should be able to give you the exact locations of everything if you mention the landmarks.

• glen3a
    19 years ago

I second the Assiniboine park conservatory, english gardens, and the leo mol sculpture garden. I found it very interesting especially as they have most plants labelled.

You can also tour the zoo nearby.

Have a great trip!

• virginia_w
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you Ptuny, Hilaryjackson, Prairie Clover, and glen 3a. I knew I'd get some great suggestions. You've all been very helpful. We're looking forward to the trip. We have hungry mosquitoes here too, but are the black flies biting in August?

Virginia

• jetred
    19 years ago

Hi Virginia

We generally don't get many black flies in Winnipeg. They are more in the bush country and other rural areas. Our numbers of mosquitoes make up for other critters! However, whether people agree or not, the city sprays periodically for mosquitoes, so its not really too bad.

I agree with all the above suggestions. Unfortunately, many of the nurseries are pretty low on stock this time of year. If you are interested in native prairie plants, there is the "living Prairie Museum" on Ness Avenue.

If you will be anywhere south and slightly west of Winnipeg, the Morden Experimental Farm has lots of demonstration gardens (About a hour and 20 minute drive from Winnipeg). This is where the famous "Parkland" series of roses was developed (Morden Blush, Winnipeg Parks, Hope for Humanity, etc. etc.).

Hope you enjoy our city.

• virginia_w
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks, jetred. My husband will be happy to hear about the black flies. I'm really not planning to buy plants now anyway, but I appreciate the native prairie plant suggestion. We love prairie plants.

• glen3a
    19 years ago

Hey Virginia, you asked about gardens "along the way". Isn't there an arboretum in the Minneapolis area? You may want to ask over on the Minnesota garden forum.

Take Care,
    Glen

• dentaybow
    19 years ago

Duluth has a stunning rose garden.

• virginia_w
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks. I realize now "along the way" is pretty broad. I have been to the gardens mentioned in Minneapolis and Duluth, but am not familiar with the country north of the Boundary Waters.

Sponsored