Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvbrd

lavender

luvbrd
18 years ago

Does anyone have experience growing lavender (lavandula) in zone 4? It's supposed to be hardy to zone 5. Do you think it might be doable with a bunch of mulch and protection from the wind? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Comments (9)

• cailinriley
    18 years ago

I grow the variety 'Munstead' in zone 3. I tried nursery bought plants a couple of times, and lost them all, but then I tried starting them from seed. Now I have 5 plants that have all survived several winters. They don't grow huge, but I haven't got them in exactly the right spot...not enough drainage. That's the key, I think, more than winter cold. I don't mulch plants for winter, and there's little reliable snow cover, especially with Calgary's Chinooks. Only the tough survive!

I think 'Munstead' is supposed to be the hardiest variety. Good luck.

• marys1000
    18 years ago

When you say start from seed do you mean inside or outside?
    Mary

• claubill
    18 years ago

I also have munstead lavender which I planted last year. I covered them up over the winter and they survived. I live in Sudbury, Ontario (zone 3).

• spartangardener
    18 years ago

I have several plants of munstead that I started from seed by ws'ing and from cuttings off the original plant. The original plant has survived two winters, although last winter was rough for it because I didn't really mulch it and we had no snow til 1/10. The others were covered with bags of leaves because they're in my rose bed. and they're all huge this summer. Some protection (mulch or snow) and good drainage are the keys.

• keeker
    18 years ago

I love lavender and try it every year! at least I'm not the only one who has problems getting it to come back. I've grown it from seed, did'nt do much., bought nursery plants, never came back. I've planted it in my rock garden thinking it would have good drainage, I even have sandy soil. No luck.. I'm not sure of the type I've tried but it was suppose to be hardy to at least zone 4.

Hope you have better luck than I have!
    Keeker

• cailinriley
    18 years ago

Mary, I started my seeds inside, but I've heard a lot about winter sowing since then and, as spartangardener can attest, it works that way, too.

All my lavenders survive without mulching, and Calgary does not get reliable snow cover in the winter. My plants also have to survive sudden freeze-thaw cycles with our Chinooks. So, luvbrd, give 'Munstead' a try.

• clairabelle
    18 years ago

Hi all. Have had the same lavender bushes since moving in... in 1990! Sure, they sometimes die back or burn off, depending on our winters, but mostly survive and thrive.

Visited a lavender grower while on vacation and some of his tips are:
    1. Full sun in dry even poor soil.
    2. Remove old wood each year.
    3. Don't be afraid to prune (I've often had 2 blooming periods).
    He never mentioned any type of mulching or wind protection.

• janroze
    18 years ago

Lavendar is not always "Lavendar" as we think of it. Some smells good, some don't, some are beautiful, some not so much, some look like France, many do not, some are zn 4 hardy, some not. The only ones that I have found that are hardy aren't as wonderful otherwise. Have any of you found a really nice hybrid for zn 4?

cail, That munstead, how tall and is it fragrant? What color and shade?
    jan

• abgardeneer
    18 years ago

Here's a picture of L. angustifolia 'Munstead':

{{!gwi}}

I originally bought two plants probably about 7 years ago - they have since seeded themselves about madly and filled an area of about 4' x 2 1/2'. They're in a former tender rose bed of 18" deep compost, and mostly sun - so I guess if drainage is important, compost must drain well! They get 15"-18" tall. The flower color is a dark mauve, well, lavender, I guess, LOL!
    I don't have any hybrids or other selections to compare with, but these just smell like lavender to me! It's nice that they border our walk, and brushing by them releases the fragrance of the foliage.
    I only cut them back in spring, since the woody stems are always partially to mostly alive; so in spring, I cut off the old flower stems and whatever parts of stems that didn't winter over.

Sponsored