Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artesianhill

Anybody else from NW Wisconsin in here?

artesianhill
18 years ago

Hello? Can't seem to find a forum. I see Canada and Minnesota. What happened to Wisc? I'm sure I'm zone 3 somewhere but not sure where I should go.

Comments (11)

• big_dummy
    18 years ago

I'm from NW WI. Zone 3. Sawyer County to be exact.

• artesianhill
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That's great...have at least two in here! I'm in Douglas County. What forums do you use for zone 3?

• big_dummy
    18 years ago

I check in the Tomatoes, Northern and Seed saving forums almost daily. But I keep an eye on Exchange, Allium, Peppers, and Heirloom (every couple of days or so).

At this time there is no WI forum, so the Northern is a compromise. But you never know about the future.

• glen3a
    18 years ago

Hello there,

Please also check out the "Far north" gardening forum. Lots of people from zones 3,2,1 on there.

Glen

Here is a link that might be useful: Far North Gardening

• leftwood
    18 years ago

The Far North Forum is great, and we welcome anyone at the Minnesota Forum too.
    Rick

• earnhardtfan
    18 years ago

I am from West central WI! Dunn County. I check into the MN forum a lot.

• virginia_w
    18 years ago

I'm also from Sawyer County. I check Midwestern, Great Lakes, and also Minnesota and this one. What do we need to do to get a Wisconsin site?

• artesianhill
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Not sure how to go about getting a Wisconsin site. It probably would be nice to see specific zone sites, actually.

• lakecottage
    18 years ago

I'm in Polk Co ... supposedly Zone 4, but lots of freeze-out for plants approved for Zone 4.

Anyone have a good plant source site for zone 3? Or 2?

• artesianhill
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Just a few years ago, we had a freak winter of little snow and the frost went down deep....all plants, bushes, etc. of zone 4 died. And still the garden shops sell zone 4 and still the people buy them. But mother nature is eventually going to catch up with them when they least expect it. I usually peruse the garden catalogs, like "Gurneys" and look for the toughest meanest plants I can find. ha

• virginia_w
    18 years ago

I live in Zone 3, and although I lost some plants-- some hostas, two clematis, and several other plants-- when we had that deep frost a few years ago, most of my plants survived. It may be partially due to my south-facing hillside garden. On the other hand, many plants behind the house survived also. We did not have much snow, but I usually allow the leaves that fall to cover the garden (we have mainly a woodland garden), and that may have saved them. I would, however absolutely recommend "The Winter Greenhouse", in Winter, WI, as a source for plants for Zones 3 and 4. They are in Zone 3 also and have beautiful demonstration gardens, as well as a great variety of perennials, hostas, shrubs and annuals. They will always tell you when any plant they sell may need winter mulch, and are very good about replacing plants that don't make it.

Sponsored