Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anybody else from NW Wisconsin in here?

Posted by artesianhill Z3 WISC (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 16, 05 at 18:02

Hello? Can't seem to find a forum. I see Canada and Minnesota. What happened to Wisc? I'm sure I'm zone 3 somewhere but not sure where I should go.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anybody else from NW Wisconsin in here?

I'm from NW WI. Zone 3. Sawyer County to be exact.

o

That's great...have at least two in here! I'm in Douglas County. What forums do you use for zone 3?

o

I check in the Tomatoes, Northern and Seed saving forums almost daily. But I keep an eye on Exchange, Allium, Peppers, and Heirloom (every couple of days or so).

At this time there is no WI forum, so the Northern is a compromise. But you never know about the future.

o

Hello there,

Please also check out the "Far north" gardening forum. Lots of people from zones 3,2,1 on there.

Glen

Here is a link that might be useful: Far North Gardening

o

The Far North Forum is great, and we welcome anyone at the Minnesota Forum too.
Rick

o

I am from West central WI! Dunn County. I check into the MN forum a lot.

o

I'm also from Sawyer County. I check Midwestern, Great Lakes, and also Minnesota and this one. What do we need to do to get a Wisconsin site?

o

Not sure how to go about getting a Wisconsin site. It probably would be nice to see specific zone sites, actually.

o

I'm in Polk Co ... supposedly Zone 4, but lots of freeze-out for plants approved for Zone 4.

Anyone have a good plant source site for zone 3? Or 2?

o

Just a few years ago, we had a freak winter of little snow and the frost went down deep....all plants, bushes, etc. of zone 4 died. And still the garden shops sell zone 4 and still the people buy them. But mother nature is eventually going to catch up with them when they least expect it. I usually peruse the garden catalogs, like "Gurneys" and look for the toughest meanest plants I can find. ha

o

I live in Zone 3, and although I lost some plants-- some hostas, two clematis, and several other plants-- when we had that deep frost a few years ago, most of my plants survived. It may be partially due to my south-facing hillside garden. On the other hand, many plants behind the house survived also. We did not have much snow, but I usually allow the leaves that fall to cover the garden (we have mainly a woodland garden), and that may have saved them. I would, however absolutely recommend "The Winter Greenhouse", in Winter, WI, as a source for plants for Zones 3 and 4. They are in Zone 3 also and have beautiful demonstration gardens, as well as a great variety of perennials, hostas, shrubs and annuals. They will always tell you when any plant they sell may need winter mulch, and are very good about replacing plants that don't make it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here