Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
turniptruk

nasturtiums & beetles & earwigs

turniptruk
18 years ago

I live Thunder Bay and until last week the Nasturtiums in the boxes on my deck looked AMAZING. Now, they are covered in tiny (and growing in size) beetles. They are sort of shaped like a tick. They are as big as the head of a pin. THey are on the leaves, the stock and some on the flowers themselves.

I have sprayed them with soap & water, and have used an insecticide spray made from pymrethon (not the right name!) daisy. They have nearly eaten their way through 2 baskets.

Any ideas what they are and what I can do to stop them?

I would also appreciate any help killing earwigs. They have pretty much eaten their way through my spinach and have started on the basil, not to mention the meals that they have eaten off of the flowers I planted this spring. I have baited them & drowned them (with glee) but I am losing my patience! I thought they were bad last year, but this year they are WAY WORSE!

Thanks for your advise!

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• adirondackgardener
    18 years ago

One of the assorted flea beetles perhaps? Are they "jumpy" if you disturb them?

The previous tender of my garden had flea beetles do a lot of damage in the past. I don't know if the small pots of mint I set out around the eggplant & broccoli helped or not, but I've not seen flea beetle damage yet this year.

I used to plant nasturtiums by the eggplant to give the flea beetles a tastier alternative to my eggplants. They were happy, I was happy. The nasturtiums weren't very happy.

Wayne in the Adks.

• Ocqueoc
    18 years ago

To keep the earwigs out of your plants and away from your seeds and seedlings I use crushed egg shells. I save all my eggshells and crush them fine and whenever I plant something I think the earwigs will eat I put down a thick layer of eggshell. This is like glass to there bodies and cut them. You do need to make sure that you get them off your plants first or they will stay put.

• saskatchewan_girl
    18 years ago

I have those same "jumpy" little black beetle type of bug on my alyssum and now on my stocks. They are covered and they did devour my purple alyssum which I had to pull out. I tried a mixture of garlic, onion, cayenne and soap water....nothing stopped them either.
    I understand your frustration turniptruk. I'd like some sugguestions too.
    Mine look like this....................

• shapiro
    18 years ago

Not sure if this is what you are dealing with, but often nasturtiums attract amazing numbers of pure black aphids. The best way to get rid of those critters is soapy water in a spray bottle, followed by a fairly stiff spray with a hose. Do it a few days in a row and they will be gone for good.

• MAD4U
    18 years ago

Wow, I really wish something great would come up to get rid of the earwigs,they are ugly critters,can't bring any flowers in the house because they arein the center of every flower. I have tried all the remedies but without success. I love roses and have plenty but they don't last long because the earwigs get to them and suck all the juices from the bloom. Sure hope someone knows something that I don't. Any new ideas????

Here is a link that might be useful: norfthern gardening forum

• dustmote
    15 years ago

North of North Battleford, Saskatchewan. size of little finger nail  lady bug size and shape, orangey red with three black stripes, one down the middle one down each side. Appears to be forming wings under soft shell. It's a really fast mover, leaf eater started with raddish leaves, went to nasturtium leaves and now going through the cucumber leaves very quickly. It has 6 legs, 2 antenna and 2 pincers. Any idea what and or how to get rid of it?

Dustmote

• northerner_on
    15 years ago

Dustmote: I discovered something similar last week - eating the cucumber leaves on some plants grown from seeds from Montreal (others on the other side of the yard are fine). I was told they are cucumber beetles, and I looked them up. I am not bothering about them because I have lots of blossoms and small cukes, but there were some 'organic' means of controlling them.

Sponsored